Chapter 65

I make it my goal to stay in the air and assist whoever needs help the most. Zappy has been at Bucky's side since I'm not on the ground. Luckily most of the ones that can fly have targeted Sam. I assume that is because he's much easier to see from a distance at full wing span.

I make a mental note of Bucky and PJ's locations every few moments. They are my priority. As my eyes scan the crowd below I see Steve fighting off two of them at once. I aim my blaster at the one on his back, throwing it far away from him. He looks up to the sky and gives me a nod before returning his attention back to the alien.

Just then a bright light shines in the middle of the warzone. I angle myself so I can see what's going on. Thor's figure appears as the light fades. He's joined by what seems to be a talking Tree and a raccoon?

My eyes flicker to Bucky and he seems just as confused as I am. I turn to PJ who hasn't noticed their arrival due to fighting three of these beasts at once. I blast one off him and he takes a brief pause to nod in my direction.

I make my way down toward Thor and smile. "Glad to see you could make it." I smile.

"Don't you worry. I have storm-breaker now and this will all be over." He says as cockily as ever.

I shake my head and lift myself back away from the ground. Just as I reach a safe height Sam soars up to me, seemingly out of breath. "Help Steve." He chokes.

I turn my attention to Steve who's being overwhelmed by these thing. I aim my blasters right at them and shoot as many as I can. Once Steve is down to one he politely waves and I begin to look for someone else to help.

Our team seems to be holding their own so I move toward Bucky, just barely hovering above the ground. He finishes knocking out the one alien he's fighting and turns to me. "Thanos isn't here." He tells me.

"Then where is he?" I ask nervously.

He shakes his head. "We don't know but he's not on earth." He quickly spins around elbowing one of the monstrosities in the face. "Something seems wrong." He says quickly.

As the words leave his lips another ship emerges. A purple man much bigger than the rest steps out. On his right hand there's a metallic golden gauntlet sporting 5 different colored gems. Those must be the other infinity stones. "That's him." I say to Bucky.

Bucky turns around, instinctively stepping in front of me. I watch over his shoulder as Steve runs at him at full speed. He grabs the gauntlet with both hands but a strange glow emerges, pushing him away.

"I'm not here to fight you. Hand over the stone so all can be set right in the universe." Thanos demands. His voice is much deeper than I expected.

"Never." Steve says, forcing himself to a stand.

Bucky takes off running to aid his friend and I follow, focused on Thanos's head. I blast one hand blaster in each one of his eyes repeatedly but this only helps temporarily. He swings his massive hand, sending me flying into the nearby woods.

I painfully hit several trees on the way down. "Karen what's my status." I say when I finally hit the ground. The world feels like it's spinning.

"All internal systems are still running. You have two broken ribs and your left hand blaster is damaged." Her robotic voice chimes through my helmet.

As I pull myself back into a stand Bucky appears running toward me. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" He immediately bombards me with questions.

"I'm fine." I groan attempting to lift myself back into the air. The suit doesn't budge so I slide my helmet back and sigh out of frustration.

"I think you're done." He says softly.

I tap my wrist so that the suit minimizes back into the bracelet. "I have to help somehow. If he gets to that stone I'll never forgive myself for doing nothing." I counter. As I breathe in a sharp pain spreads through my chest but I do my best to hide it.

"No Becca you've done enough. I won't let you get yourself killed." He looks directly into my eyes as he speaks.

I let down my guard with a defeated sigh. "I broke a couple ribs." I tell him. "Karen told me before you got here."

His tight hold on my hand immediately softens so that he can wrap his arm around me protectively. I lean into his side with another pain-filled sigh. "Stay with me." I plead. If I'm backing down from a fight then I want him to stay with me.

"Always." He gently presses his lips to my forehead.

Before I can say anything else there's a rustling coming from the direction of the fight. Bucky instinctively turns his metal arm into a fist and his right arm grabs the gun on his belt.

"Thank god you're okay!" PJ appears in the clearing and I instantly relax. "I saw that you got hit. Are you hurt?" He asks moving closer to Bucky and I.

Bucky's entire body is still tense beside me so I lean my head back on his shoulder hoping to help him relax.

"Yeah I'm alright." I tell him. "The suit isn't in good shape but I'll be fine."

He awkwardly stops in front of me. I think he's wanting to go in for a hug but is afraid of Bucky. I choose to ignore his troubles and focus on helping Bucky relax instead. Bucky leans down resting his cheek on top of my head, placing the gun back in its holder.

"Captain Rogers wanted me to let you know that Thanos went for Vision and he doesn't think it's going to be good." PJ says to Bucky.

"Come on. We should head back." Bucky gently helps pull me to a stand. "Are you okay? Can you walk?" He asks, completely ignoring PJ's presence.

"I'm alright." I tell him. The pain I feel will go away it's not like I've sustained life threatening injuries.

"I'll meet you guys back on the field." PJ says awkwardly before swinging through the trees.

I follow Bucky down the same familiar path we have taken hikes down with Zappy many times. He's mostly quiet but still turns to check that I'm right behind him. If the path weren't so narrow I'd walk beside him so he didn't have to worry.

As we reach the edge of the forest Zappy comes running up to us happily. Everyone seems to be standing around waiting for something to happen.

"Becca I don't know what's happening." Bucky says, his voice stricken with fear.

I look away from Zappy, up to him to see his hand slowly turn to dust. "Bucky!" I say, panicked.

"I love you. I promise we'll fix this." He says seemingly unsure of anything.

"I love you Bucky." I watch as other parts of him begin to flake off. What is happening to him?

"Steve!" He yells out of fear.

I turn my head toward Steve before looking back to Bucky but he's gone.

"BUCKY!" I yell but I don't hear his voice call back.

I look up at the rest of our army and see several people disappearing into dust just as Bucky was.

Steve makes eye contact with me for a split second and I can tell his heart is breaking.

I drop down to my knees into the pile of dust that was Bucky. Every part of my body goes numb and it gets harder and harder to breathe.

Bucky.

My Bucky.

He's gone....