Chapter 29

Bucky and I return to the lounge area to meet up with everyone else. Steve follows shortly behind. I take a seat at one of the island benches and Steve sits in the other one next to me. Bucky stands behind me resting his head on top of mine while draping his arms around me. Wanda and Peter are sitting together on the bench in front of one of the large windows.

Tony is standing at the island. "Barnes, Becca, this is Dr. Bruce Banner." He introduces us to the man standing beside him.

"Hey guys." He waved to us. He seems very timid.

"Hello." I smile politely but Bucky says nothing.

"And this is Thor." Tony motions to the large man leaning against the half wall to my left. How did I not notice him there before?

"You have a metal arm." Thor states. His accent is very strange. I wonder where he's from.

"I do." Bucky nods along. "Thanks for stating the obvious."

I slide my elbow back enough to nudge him and he immediately looks down at me. "Be nice!" I whisper-yell.

Bucky rolls his eyes and speaks again. "It's pretty useful in combat. What do you do?" He says much more politely. I know he's being sarcastic but Thor doesn't pick up on it.

"I am the son of Odin and God of Thunder." He lifts the large hammer at his feet and sets it on the island in front of me. "Go on. Lift it." He challenges Bucky.

Bucky releases me and immediately tries to lift the hammer but it doesn't even budge. "What's the trick?" Bucky groans in frustration.

"You're not worthy." Thor says cockily, lifting the hammer back off the counter with ease.

"Is there a button on the handle or something?" Bucky presses.

Nat, Steve and Tony all burst into laughter.

"Let me try." Peter steps forward.

Thor sets the hammer down and Bucky intensely watches every move Thor makes. Peter reaches for it pulling with all his might but nothing. "Wanda use your mind magic." Peter calls over to her.

"I have been trying the entire time." Wanda responds.

"Can we get back to the problem at hand." Tony speaks, pulling all the attention back to him.

"Of course Tony." Natasha smiles. She walks up to Bucky and I and rips the sleeve off Bucky's jacket to reveal his metal arm. "That looks so much better. It's been bothering me this entire time." She steps back and stands next to Steve. "What do you think Rogers?"

"Suits him much better." Steve nods along with her.

"GUYS." Tony yells. This time the entire room falls silent. "Rebecca you'll be coming with us. When the fight breaks out Sam will fly you to the others and help your team retrieve information." He begins.

Bucky cuts him off. "No she's coming with me."

Tony looks up from the computer screen in front of him. "Barnes we need to use her to get eyes on Coulson. This isn't negotiable."

"Bullshit." He scoffs.

Sam places his hand on Bucky's shoulder. "It'll be fine man. You can trust me."

"I can do it." Peter stands up. "You trust me right Buckaroo?" He smiles wide.

"No Peter I don't want you near that fight." Tony stops him.

"This is a joke right? The kid literally climbs walls and shoots webs out of his hands but you won't let him there. But Becca is a normal human with no abilities and she can be there?" Bucky argues.

Tony takes the glasses off his face and rubs his head. "He's sixteen. She can make her own choices." He sighs.

Bucky turns to me, ignoring the rest of the room. "If you go with them I can't come save you without putting everyone else at risk. And I will put every single one of these guys at risk for you."

I nod. "I'll go with you guys." I say without looking at Bucky. I know he'll have a look of disappointment on his face if I do look at him. "But if I get captured again or killed you have to kill my dad so he can't do anything to Bucky." I state.

The room falls silent. As I look around the room everyone avoids eye contact with me. Lastly I look at Bucky. A frown takes over his face but he doesn't look away like everyone else. "You shouldn't have to choose between me and your dad." He whispers just to me.

"He's right." Steve says from beside us. "I have another idea." All attention is turned to Steve. This is the quietest this room has ever been. "Wanda we're going to stage it as if you're holding them hostage. We'll use that video as proof. We'll bring one of the bulletproof vans and tell them you're in there. Neither you two or Peter will be anywhere near that fight."

They way he looks at me out of the corner of his eye suggests that he cares about my well-being but from previous actions I know that's not true. Maybe he's afraid of Bucky. After all he is a highly experienced super soldier assassin. Yeah that has to be it.

Wanda stands and starts to move her hands in strange ways. Before I know it her red mist is restraining my hands behind my back. I'm lifted off the stool I'm sitting on and Bucky immediately grabs ahold of me to stop me from moving further from him.

Wanda let's out a giggle and drops her hands. "I can do that." She speaks.

Tony nods. "They've accepted the trade offer. We'll be meeting in a hour." He speaks.

Everyone begins to leave the room. This time Bucky grabs my hand and leads me back to our bedroom. Once inside he turns to face me.

"You are literally insane." He says. I shake my head and he laughs lightly. He pulls me in close to him and leans down to quickly kiss me.

"What was that for?" I smile. I still have my arms around him in a hug.

"If we're going to raid a Hydra base we could get killed. Had to kiss you one more time just in case." He tells me sadly.

"We won't be killed." I stay confidently.

"You never know." He shrugs.

"You won't let that happen." I rest my head against his chest and listen to his heartbeat. The thought of never hearing that again in enough to fill me with the confidence that we'll walk out of there just fine.