Chapter 40

May gave PJ the keys to her car so that we could drop Ned off at home and take Peter to the mall. May decided to spend her day filing paperwork at the shelter much to both her and PJ's distaste.

"What does the J stand for?" I ask PJ as he drives away from Ned's house.

"My middle name is John." He tells me with a small smile.

"Peter John. And what does May think it stands for?" I ask.

"Phillip Jacob." He lets out a small laugh.

"That is a terrible name." Peter says from the backseat. Both of them laugh.

PJ pulls into the parking lot of a building labeled Mens Wearhouse and shuts the car off. "I got you an appointment for two-thirty." PJ says.

"We're a bit early don't you think?" Peter says. I look to the clock on the dash and it reads 1:58.

"Sure but it gives you extra time to look at some floor models." PJ jumps out of the car quickly. Before I'm able to take off my seatbelt he's pulling my door open with a cheesy smile.

I step out of the car and let him shut the door behind me. As we enter the building PJ goes to the front desk so I follow Peter around the store.

"I have to ask." Peter says without looking at me. "Do you and PJ like each other?"

I begin to look at another suit to avoid eye contact. "He's a nice person. Very friendly."

Peter sighs. "You know what I mean."

"I'm not rushing into anything. As far as I'm concerned he's a friend." I tell him.

"But later on do you think maybe?" He says awkwardly.

I sigh and turn to face him. "Peter, Bucky was the first guy I've ever loved and the wound is still fresh. No part of me is looking for any sort of relationship. I honestly can't even picture a future without Bucky in it so no. I don't like PJ like that."

Peter glances behind me and nods. "Good because I don't want you to hurt him." He goes back to looking at jackets.

Before I can get the chance to ask Peter what he means by that PJ joins us. "We're checked in and they'll call us over when someone is available to help." He rocks back and forth on his heels.

Without a word I move over to a seating area. I can't believe Peter thinks I'm the one that would be a problem. I really thought Peter was my friend but apparently I come in second for him too. God it's like as soon as I feel okay again something else comes to stab me in the chest.

And so what if PJ and I get along? We have a lot in common and at the end of the day we could both use a friend our own age. I mean don't I at least deserve that?

As if he knows what I'm thinking PJ sits down with a smile. "They're taking him to get measured for a size. Are you okay?" He asks.

Before I can answer I notice my phone is ringing. On the screen appears a photo of Steve. "Sorry I have to take this." I excuse myself.

Once I'm outside I take a seat on a bench and answer the call. "Hello?"

"Hey Becca it's me Steve." He says shortly.

"Yes I know Tony saved your number in my phone. Is something wrong?" I ask.

"We're just trying to get ahold of Peter. He was supposed to be here for a meeting." He says calmly.

"Oh he's actually getting a suit for a school dance right now. If you want I can come fill in?" I offer.

"Yeah sure. If you're okay with that anyway. I know you're trying to distance and all." He clears his throat.

"I'd love to come for a visit. I do miss you guys." I smile at the phone.

"Great! Tony will send a driver to pick you up. Not to be weird but he has your location because of your phone." He tells me.

"I assumed he would do that." I say honestly. "See you soon." I quickly hang up the phone.

Upon entering the building I see PJ in the same spot I left him and Peter standing in front of him with an oversized suit on. I walk up to them casually. "Hey I'm actually going to head out. Steve called and they need me over there so I'll see you guys later?" I say.

"Do they need me too?" Peter's entire body ignites. "I can get dressed." He begins to move back toward the changing rooms.

"No no. It's just a meeting. I'll fill you in later." I promise.

"Okay well I'll send you pictures when I decide." He smiles.

"Sounds good." I turn toward PJ. "See you around I guess." I say awkwardly before heading back out of the shop.

I wonder what this meeting is about. Maybe Bucky is doing so bad they need a new plan. Or maybe there's more Hydra trouble. Or maybe aliens are attacking New York City again.

Before I can get too carried away with my theories Happy pulls up. He rolls the window down so I can see his face. "Get in." He instructs.

Once I'm in the car I put my seatbelt on and take a deep breath. I miss Wanda and Tony. I wasn't as close to Steve and Nat but it'll be nice to see them again too. Not to mention I'm sure Bruce, Clint, and Vision will all be present. The only thing that could make it better would be Bucky being there.

Pull yourself together Rebecca. He's gone.

"It's a meeting about the person who framed Barnes." Happy speaks.

"What?" I ask. Bucky was framed?

"The name is Baron Zemo." Happy says. "He killed King T'challa's father."