Chapter 15

When we arrive to the location I turn to Steve. "She's not working with Hydra." I state.

"I trust you." Steve nods.

I look at the tree in front of me. This has to be the place. This was the Winter Soldier's highest profile kill.

"My parents died in a car accident on this road." Tony speaks.

I don't look him in the eyes. If he knew I killed his parents here he would turn on me in seconds.

"I see you brought friends." The sickening German voice speaks. I turn toward the direction it came from to see the man step out from the shadows.

"Where is she?" I clench my jaw. I know the power he has over me and I fight that side with everything I have.

"She is at the Hydra base you will be stored at. Once we get back I'll release her." He speaks. "However, if your friends follow us I will have her killed before we arrive."

"How do we know you haven't already killed her?" Steve interjects.

He holds up a small device showing her. Her fragile body is on the ground shaking. I close my eyes and turn my head slightly. "Fine." I swallow. "But one of them is coming with me to make sure she gets out of there alive. Throw a bag over their head if you must." 

The man nods. "This is why we chose you. You're very intelligent." He laughs menacingly.

"Let's go." I say to Steve and he nods.

"Actually," Peter steps forward. "She trusts me most. I should go."

"He's right." Tony argues. "When she was at S.H.I.E.L.D. he was the only one she spoke to the entire time."

I look from the kid back to Steve. "They're right Bucky. She wouldn't trust me for a second."

I don't speak. I can't believe they're about to send this young kid with me to fight Hydra alone. I listen as he follows me to the car that the man has waiting for us. We both climb into the back seat. Instantly, our heads are covered and our hands cuffed.

"When she's conscious again she'll want to come back for me." I say to the kid. "You can't let her."

"Mr. Barnes I don't..." he begins but I don't let him finish.

"Promise me that when they come looking for me, she won't be a part of it." I whisper.

"Okay." He sighs.

The rest of the ride is mostly quiet. The car jerks to the right and comes to a stop. I assume this is the base. However, the car starts to sway back and forth as of it were floating.

I know where we are going. The island. The avengers will never find us here. I sigh as I begin to lose hope. Whatever happens, as long as she gets out of here alive, I'll be okay.

Images of her being tortured continue to flash through my mind. I feed into the anger. If I don't take them out now I'll never be out of their grasp again.

This anger isn't the same as it is when they're in control. This anger is fueled by her. I won't kill anyone I don't have to. She wouldn't like that. I'm going to get her away from Hydra. She'll never be out of my sight again. I let myself feel the pain. The pain is what will keep me going. The pain is what will save her.

I hear the sound of the driver door slam. "Listen kid. When they take your blindfold off you have to get out of here. Go find the others and bring them back as fast as you can." I instruct.

"Actually sir, my suit is made of Stark tech. I can't go anywhere with this thing without Tony knowing." He responds.

That's why they sent him. He's equipped with a tracker that's gone right under Hydra's nose. "Okay new plan. Find Becca and stay alive until everyone else shows up." I say.

"Yes sir." Peter says cheerfully.

They drag us out of the car and lead us into a building. Once we're inside my blindfold is slipped off my head but Peter's remains. "Let's go soldier." One of the men begin to pull me.

"No. I want to make sure she's safe before I comply." I hold myself firm. "And I want to say goodbye."

The man shrugs and moves over to a hole in the ground covered by a huge metal crate. He reaches into the hole and drags her up by her arm.

She's filthy. She's covered in blood and dirt. Her skin is pale. She looks so fragile. I take the opportunity to rip the handcuffs apart. I knew I could the whole time but I played along.

Within seconds I'm at her side but when I reach out to hold her she flinches. "It's okay baby." I say calmly. "You know I wouldn't hurt you."

Her eyes meet mine and she quickly closes them. "Please don't." She cries.

The sound of hurt in her voice breaks me. I put my hands on either side of her face and pull her body so she's leaning on me. "Doll it's going to be okay. You're going to go with Peter okay?" I whisper.

She looks at me again in confusion. "Bucky?" Her voice breaks.

"Yes. It's me." I say softly. I can't imagine what she's been through.

She takes the chance to throw her arms around me. I hold her, breathing in her scent that is buried under all of the dirt. "I'm not going to let them hurt you anymore." I whisper into her hair.

Her body begins to shake and I know she's crying. With every tear my anger grows but I don't let her see that. I stay calm and hold her for as long as I can. "I thought you'd never come." She says between sobs.

"I know. It took me far too long to get here." I frown, holding back my own tears. The Hydra man kicks me and I sigh. "I need you to go with Peter. He's going to get you to a hospital. I promise I'll be right there as soon as I can." I tell her.

"Please don't leave me." She cries.

"Never again." I promise. "I have to take care of these guys so they can never hurt us again." I tell her quietly.

She nods and finally releases me. "I need you." She says before letting go of me completely.

Those three words send me over the edge. I'll take down Hydra single-handedly if I have to.