19

When Charlie and Schlatt got back to the room, things went quiet for a while again. There was no doubt Schlatt was still taking things hard, because all he'd really do was pace back and forth around the room, or step out onto the balcony for 'a moment alone'.

Ted on the other hand had fallen asleep again, it was nice to see him getting better but at the same time every moment his eyes closed scared the hell out of you. And since Charlie had decided to take a quick shower, you were just left alone in the room.

You figured Ted would be fine on his own, so standing up, you quietly headed out onto the balcony. Immediately you were hit with the smell of cigarette smoke, which caused you to sigh and look over at Schlatt, who was sitting in one of the deck chairs.

"Don't start lecturing me, I know what you're going to say." Schlatt muttered out almost immediately, glancing over at you.

Sighing, you just sat in the chair next to him, leaning back a bit. "We're in this together, you know. You can talk to us instead of being so quiet all the time."

Shaking his head, Schlatt brought the cigarette up to his mouth once again. "Stop with that shit, Y/N. What is there to talk about? Tommy's dead. I could've done something to save him. And now the others are leaving, too."

Turning to look at him, you reached over and pulled the cigarette right out of his mouth, holding it in between your fingers. "So, tell me now, Schlatt. How the hell could you have saved him? If you were in that car you could've died too. We all got there at the same time, and you helped Charlie and Techno get him out of the car. What could you have done then, huh?"

It upset you to get this harsh with him, but you figured he wouldn't listen to you if you weren't. You flicked the cigarette off the balcony, before looking at him and holding your hand out. "Give me the rest of them you're not going to sit out here and smoke just to be all mopey."

If this was before any of you had met, Schlatt would've pushed you off that balcony. But instead, he just sat there and rubbed his face, before reaching into his pocket and handing you his pack.

Stuffing them into your pocket, you slowly stood up and walked over, sitting yourself in his lap and hugging onto him. "I know you're trying to hold your emotions down so you don't seem soft. But please, Schlatt. Just let them out. It'll be what's best for you."

Silence filled the air for a moment, but it didn't take long before Schlatt's arms wrapped tightly around you, tears beginning to flow from him. He sobbed into your shoulder. His hands gripped onto the back of your shirt as if they were never going to let go.

"I'm here.." You whispered softly to him, just hugging him in your arms. His sobs could probably be heard from people walking outside, but you didn't care. He needed this.

After about ten minutes his sobs managed to die down, and were now just faint sniffles and tiny hiccups as he kept his face pressed into your shoulder. You just hummed and carefully played with his hair, watching all of his movements closely.

Finally he spoke. With all the silence you honestly thought he fell asleep. "Thank you Y/N.." He muttered softly.

A small frown grew on your face as you pulled away slightly, staring at him. "Schlatt, when this mission is over I say we take a break for a few years. This has obviously been putting a lot of stress on you, and we-"

"Absolutely not." Schlatt shook his head, immediately cutting you off. "You can't just take a break from a life like this. I thought you of all people would know that."

Shaking your head, you placed your hands on his shoulders. "That's because I never had a choice, Schlatt. You're the boss here. You make the decisions."