IV

ELENA CASSANO

I slipped away from the crowd into the rooftop. Hopefully Papà hadn't seen me. A few steps into the cold air and I paused, glancing down twelve stories above the streets of Manhattan. The New York City Skyline.

I breathed in the skyscrapers, the giant billboards, and the cold, chilly air. I couldn't help but think about dropping down and letting gravity take control.

        Don't get me wrong, I'm not suicidal.

        I would probably catch myself before it happened anyways. And I had absolutely no plans of dying today, only fresh air and silence that had me thinking about death.

        I promise I'm not suicidal.

        The rooftop door slammed open, and the sound of footsteps swiftly following. I didn't even bother glancing at the stranger; Whoever came in was more than likely only looking for silence and peace. Just like me.

        I desperately prayed it would be a woman. I couldn't handle another man telling me what to do, and how to dictate my life.

        I never listened, but if my papà caught me alone with strange man in the middle of the night, I would fear for my life and safety. Although I couldn't care enough to leave.

        I sighed softly, closing my eyes shut and I shot my hands in the air. Take me.

        I finally allowed my dark eyes to linger towards the masculine figure who walked in. Broad shoulders. Tall. Large biceps flexed through his black suits every time he took a long drag of his joint.

        Heavy, deep breaths left his pouty lips as he dragged and inhaled the thick smoke into his lungs. Inhale. Exhale. He was in the process of exhaling as he finally noticed me.

        He paused, before inhaling the moment our eyes met. His expression held no shock nor amusement when he saw me. Even about ten feet away, I could see the reflection of the light from the sky in his piercing gaze. His eyes slowly dragged over my body without revealing a single thought.

        A couple of men entered the rooftop. They shared a hesitant look between the man, but it only took them a couple of seconds to exit with a nod of their head.

        "You know, I have a theory that if I slipped, I could easily catch myself before I fall."

         "Why don't you test that theory?" His gaze narrowed; his mouth drawn tightly.

         He brought the cigarette back to his mouth and took another hit. "If you slip and fall, I'm not fucking helping you." His raspy voice tore through my stomach. Penetrating. Deep, confident voice that stirred up my insides and settled deep in my stomach.

        "Asshole." I threw a glare at him over my shoulder. He looked at me. Like stared. His thumb slowly traced his bottom lip. His icy eyes bored into mine and he stared hard at my face, like all my secrets were on my face.

        Icy, penetrating eyes. Intimidating when I attached them to the massive bulk of his body. He leaned into the wall, inhaling another hit of the cigarette. "Do you think I'm ugly?" I asked him.

        He took one hard, long, intense stare at me before replying. "Yes."

        "Hm. Maybe that's why my husband doesn't want to fuck me." I swung my legs to the other side and pulled myself up from the ground. Thick, dark brows furrowed as I walked towards him. "May I?" I asked, stealing the cigarette from his lip.