XXXIII

ELENA CASSANO

I was destined for hell. I was going straight to it. Maybe I was standing on the precipice with no one to pull me back or maybe I was already there.

Adriano's arm was slung over my chair casually as he conversed with my papà with the piano serving as a background noise to the easy chatter.

I swallowed a big gulp of wine—something my mamma clearly disapproved from across the table—even though it did nothing to dull the tension brewing under my skin as eyes, soul and mind were entirely focused on another man.

A man I couldn't have but I wanted.

He sat there, his legs spread apart, fists clenched on either side of his untouched plate of my mamma's risotto and rolled a cherry cigar between his fingers. Like he belonged here.

And then he laughed, laughed at something Alessio said.

A delicious rippling laughter which burned through my dress, and lit my skin like a Christmas tree.

His face softened, my heartbeat thumping against my rib cage at his broad smile, a smile I didn't see often but I tucked into my heart.

        Every time our eyes met, either accidentally or coincidentally, a hot shiver roared down my spine at the determination and lust in his gaze.

        He was always watching me. Unsmiling as always with burning icy eyes and hunger.

        Oxygen, words, cohered thoughts all escaped me when his leg accidentally made contact with mine. Shit.

        The corner of his lips tipped. The sight of his amused smile made my knees weakened and my pulse throbbed frantically through my blood.

        "Stop." I mouthed across the table. Don't stop.

        That amused him. "No." He mouthed back.

I fought the urge to bend over and bury the heel of my stiletto into my eyes, though it was very tempting. Why did this man have to make things so goddamn difficult for me?

        All rational thoughts left me when the man beside me didn't hesitate to rest his palm on my neck. "Elena?" His dark voice reached my skin like a prickle in the pond. Uninvited.

Pushing my heart to bang against my chest walls in fear. It wanted out as much as I didn't want to hear whatever would be to come out of his lips.

        "Is something wrong?" His palm slowly caressed the back of my neck in a disgustingly lovingly way that made me sick to my fucking stomach.

I shook my head. His gaze skimmed over me warily. "Good. Now come here and give your fiancé a kiss, darling."

        Darling. My heart thumped against my rib cage at the sound of the endearment flowing from Adriano's parted lips like the rendition of a favorite song I used to love. Only it was just that. A rendition.

        Everyone's eyes and focus were now on us, the lazy piano music still playing in the background and the quiet chatter of my papà talking with Alessio remained. As a remainder of the gravity of the situation.

        With a little laugh, I shifted my gaze down to my trembling fingers and then to Sin who was watching with a neutral expression.

        He seemed unbothered, unreadable yet his gaze remained focused on me. Almost saying you got yourself into this, get yourself out of it.