XI

ELENA CASSANO

        We rode to Valentina's house in silence. Engulfed in a plague of deafening darkness. He didn't say a word after the elevator fiasco, and I didn't mention anything either.

The sound of the radio in the background, the windows rolled down to an extent as Vetrov drove on. I didn't mind silence, it was a familiar hug that wormed around me, and haunted my shadows. It always reminded me of that night.

Glancing up, I noticed him sliding into the driveway of Val's house, his jaw ticked in thought, and I heard a sharp clinking which I supposed were the doors unlocking.

"Thanks for the ride, Prince Charming." I muttered under my breath, grasping my Chanel bag around my arm, and slid out of the car.

The bastard didn't even wait until I walked into the house before he drove away, the booming sound of the music pounding through the car doors.

I groaned out loud, shooting up the middle finger into the air. Asshole.

Then I called for a cab to the house with the rest of the money I stole from Vetrov's wallet and got ready for the best night of my goddamn life.

"Eva!" One of my college friends called out with a wave of her fingers as I walked into the house. Strobe lights covered the room. Mugs clunking against a table as I walked by, the smell of beer breath and sweat mixed in combination.

        At first, I paused, wondering who the fuck was Eva before I remembered Papà convinced me to use a fake name when I registered for my classes.

It was the only way he would allow me to take classes at a local college. Mamma initially agreed I didn't need a college degree, but I fought my way through, persuading her to allow me to earn a degree in creative design.

"Hi." I smiled as I slid into a stool beside Megumi, one of the girls I befriended when I started my classes. Her hair was like cotton candy—bright pink, sleek, and cut into a short bob. Her sloe eyes, brown and warm smiling at me, and her lips were full, and pink.

Three other girls whose names I forgot smiled at me, and the two boys muttered a hello. It was refreshing to make friends outside of the Cosa Nostra because they didn't know who I was or anything about my past.

Outside the Cosa Nostra, I was Eva, the girl with the glamorous outfits and ridiculous work hours. Not the daughter of Luca Cassano.

"It's so nice to see you again." Megumi told me with a soft smile that made my heart blossom. She wrapped an arm around my shoulder and squeezed against my body. "Aaron bet a hundred that you said you wouldn't make it. He kept saying you would cancel."

Aaron rolled his eyes and threaded a hand through his dark hair. "I didn't say that, Meg. I said she would probably not be able to make it."

"Well, I'm here now." I retorted with a sweet smile, wanting to stab Aaron with my stilettos. "What did I miss?"

"Just a game of truth and dare." Megumi said, sliding me a cigarette. I mumbled a word of appreciation before lighting the joint and placed it between my lips. I inhaled slowly, my half-lidded gaze finding Aaron's, and I smiled before exhaling a deep breath.

A deep blush blossomed over his freckled cheeks, and he shyly dropped his eyes. Cute.

It had been a while since I was around any other boys except Alessio, and his men. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up in bed that wasn't mine but that wasn't the plan tonight. The plan was to get back to Val's house coherent, and sober.