XXXIX

RUSLAN VETROV

        Father or no father, Luca Cassano was now on my fucking hit-list.

        The only thing standing between a bullet in his forehead was my black-haired woman with soft green eyes waiting for me at home. I had a manila envelope in my hand, gun tucked into my waistband, and a freshly lit fire to my cigarette.

        My gaze coasted over the wedding invitation in my fist clearly addressed to me, the italic font of Elena's name combined with Adriano as if the decision was final. Hell fucking no.

        The sight of Elena in a wedding dress getting married to another man felt like reason enough to start a war against the Italians, though it'd be petty.

        Something I couldn't afford to be right now especially when I wanted to marry his damn daughter. Which was why it was taking me a whole hour just to get my shit together enough to be able to walk through Cassano's mansion gates to talk to him.

        I'd just finished another hit in Upper state New York—where I had no doubt another name would be plastered on the television screen—when I received the goddamn invitation Luca Cassano addressed to me. At first I'd meant to burn it but now, I had a better plan.

        Pulling up at the edge the driveway, I inhaled a deep smoke of the cherry cigarette feeling my body taunt with tension.

        The quick hit originally meant to only take one hour had taken three hours due to my lack of focus, my fucking mind on the target but my heart was back in my apartment with the woman curled on the couch.

        I had hoped to confront Luca—well more of hit—when tomorrow approached but I didnt mind showing them how ruthless I could be.

        Strolling over to the door, I exhaled a slow breath, the storm stirring inside me at the ultimate threshold and threatening to burst open.

        Striding into the living room, the first person I noticed was one of Elena's cousin, Nicolo who did nothing but stepped out of my way as I stalked towards the stairs. Good man.

        Fisting the invitation in my closed hand, I barged into Cassano's office. He leaped upright, his jaw tight, the unknown woman beneath him letting out a soft gasp. Honestly I wasn't fucking surprised he was cheating, the man could barely recognize the things in front of him.

         Valentina over Elena? Fucking blindass.

        Our gaze clashed, his face immediately sour at my presence but he didn't hide his fear when he realized what I was here for.

        I wasn't going to kill him—courtesy of Mischa spending an hour explaining what a bad idea it would be to kill one of his partners—but I was still going to kick his damn ass until I felt a tiny bit better.

        "Get out," I commanded in a rough voice, my gaze coasting over the naked woman. "Now."

        She didn't waste a second before jumping to her feet, gathering her belonging in one hand and tears in another. Scurrying out of the office.

        Luca let out a slow breath, zipping back his pants and sliding a dark look over at me. "It's midnight, Sin. Is there any reason you're here right now?" He glanced over my shoulder to Guilia, Elena's mamma. His eyes turned pitch black. "Go to bed, Guilia."

        I didn't hear her respond so the woman must have gotten the hint.

        The door opened again before I could speak, revealing Nicolo and another man.