XIII

ELENA CASSANO

Papà's fiftieth dinner party was held in one of the expensive hotels he owned, filled with crooked officers he occasionally bribed and well-dressed Italians. I played my part as his prized daughter. I showed up with a decent black dress that ended below my knees and plastered a wide smile on my face.

        It was the first time I saw Mamma ever content about my choice of outfit. Black, lacey, and long-sleeved.   

        Congratulations were made, kisses were shared, and I completely forgot about the fact that Papà hadn't told me about my engagement.

        I staggered down the staircase with a glass of wine clutched in my hands—my third glass specifically. Alessio disappeared from the crowd after congratulating Papà and I assumed he would probably be lingering somewhere around.

        On the other hand, I was a drunken mess, stepping on toes when I attempted to dance with one of papà men, and I excused myself after noticing the pained look in his eyes.

        Since I would be getting married soon, I might as well enjoy my life as a single woman. For as long as however that would remain so.

        "Bella." Mamma's soft voice rang through my ear as she approached me. A concerned look sparked in her eyes, a look I was often used to. "People are staring."

        "Let them. I'm allowed to wallow in my self-pity or are people going to fucking talk about my drinking as well?" I smiled then grabbed another glass of wine from the waiter.

        She sighed with an apologetic smile. "We don't choose the world we live in, bella. If I could love your father, I would."

        "I know." The Cassano's married for honor and pride, never for love. Luca Cassano always made that crystal clear as I grew up. "Have you ever thought about leaving, Mamma?"

        "Leaving?" Her dark brows curled with bewilderment. "There is no leaving the Cosa Nostra. Unless you are dead. You know that."

        "I know. It was just a hypothetical question." I sighed heavily, downing my glass in one drink. "Do you think my husband will live past thirty days this time?"

        If I eventually got married to Emilio, it would be my third time being married. You know what they always say. Third time's the charm or however it fucking went.

        "Elena!"

        I eyed her with a look. "I'm being honest, Mamma. Do you think I'm bad luck?"

        "No."

        "Then why does Papà look at me like I've killed his cat? And he doesn't even like cats." Ever since the death of Enzo, my father maintained a well-composed composure around me. He never said too much or too less. Like he was afraid to jinx my wedding to Emilio.

        It made sense considering every man in my life was either dead or...practically nonexistent.

        Mamma sighed heavily, taking hold of my glass. "It isn't you. Your uncle is here."

        It felt like someone picked up a cold bucket of water and poured it over my head. I inhaled a sharp, rushed breath. "Adriano?"

        "Yes." Mamma muttered, an irritated tone beneath her voice. "You know how fixated your father gets. He wants to impress his older brother-" Mamma kept talking, ranting about her anger for my uncle and all I could think was the last time I saw him.