Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The hospital visit

About half way to the hospital, the rain begins to fall. I feel my hair and clothes dampen by the second.

"Shit."

I take off into a sprint, ignoring the burning in my lungs.

When I finally make it to the hospital, I walk in through the main entrance, seeing Michael pacing back and forth, deep in thought.

"Michael..." I whisper and thankfully he hears me.

For a moment, a look of relief washes over his face as he walks over to me. I feel his arms wrap around me tightly, pulling me flush against his body.

"Oh Michael. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry." I wrap my arms around him, pulling him closer. If that is even possible.

He let's out a few quiet sobs, holding onto me for dear life. I place one of my hands on his head, gently combing his hair with my fingers to help calm him down.

"Shhh... it's okay. Let it all out. I'm here." I reassure him.

"Thank you." He muffles into my shoulder.

I smile, getting a weird feeling in my stomach. It feels as if my insides are doing flips. Strange.

"Do you want to see him?" Michael asks which makes me think.

"What if your dad sees me? He'll get mad at the both of us." I look up at him, placing my hand on his arm.

"I don't care what he thinks. Come on."

Michael leads me past the reception desk and down a few corridors. We make our way over to one of the rooms, stepping inside.

"There you are. Where- what are they doing here?" William gives me a stern look, standing from his chair.

His tone scares me a little bit so I begin to back away. But before I can leave the room, Michael grabs my hand and laces his fingers in mine.

If we weren't in this situation right now, I would be a blushing mess.

"Y/N isn't going anywhere."

William gives me a death glare but says nothing, sitting back down in his chair.

Michael gives my had another reassuring squeeze as he leads me to stand beside the bed where Evan lay still.

I'm sorry Evan.

I feel tears well in my eyes but I fight them back, trying to stay strong for Evan and for Michael.

It must be hard for-

The sound of a monotone beeping sounds out through the room. The consistent noise hitting everyone hard.

Mrs Afton begins crying. Hard. Elizabeth doesn't know what to do so she begins crying her young brothers name.

William's face darkens as he looks up at me. His glare sharp enough to cut through the metal of an animatronic.

"You! This is your fault! You should never have come here! You leave my family alone! This is your fault!" William raises his voice the most he has ever done.

The hospital room is full of chaos. People screaming and shouting as the doctors come rushing in. Michael drags me out of the room and away from his angry father.

My body begins to go numb as I rush towards the exit.

"Y/N! Y/N can you hear me? Y/N?" Michael stands in front of me, placing both his hands on my sides.

I feel myself getting dizzy, the room spinning around me. I try to take a few deep breaths but it doesn't help.

I make eye contact with Michael whose lips are moving but I hear nothing. The only sound I can hear is the beeping of the machine as Evan Afton passed away.

Suddenly, my legs give in and I begin falling to the ground. But before I feel my body land, a pair of arms catch me.

"I need a doctor!"

Michael's faint cries echo through my mind. His voice panicked but he still comforts me somehow.

I muster up all the energy I possibly can, reaching out my hand to touch his cheek. He looks down at me, worried.

"I'm sorry." I apologise and his blue eyes widen.

"No you're not. You're not going to be sorry because this isn't your fault." He looks at me sincerely.

I begin to see spots in my vision and my eyelids become heavy. My body is slowly shutting down from all the stress.

"Y/N stay with me! I need a doctor now!" I hear Michael shout over the ruckus in the background.

Suddenly, I feel another pair of arms pick me up and take me away from Michael. I'm moved onto a flatbed, surrounded by unfamiliar faces.

"Michael..." I reach out a weak hand but give up as I'm moved further and further away from him.

"Hey, let me go! Y/N! Get off me!"

I watch with blurry vision as some of the staff hold Michael back from coming with us. The worry and anger in his eyes evident.

I give him a weak smile before I let the tiredness take over my body.

"Y/N!!!!!"