Chapter 5: Dragon & Phoenix

Leaping lightly off the roof, Feiyan tapped down in the snow dusted grass below, and realized that she had landed in the middle of a large garden which connected to the East Palace of the Prince.

Dammit...this...how is there a side courtyard here? And I don't have my mask...

Although she had spent most of her life traversing the halls of the great palace of Moutan, she was only really familiar with the main hall where Court was held and the Crown Prince's East palace. The inner palace was normally forbidden to her, and she had been given strict instructions to avoid the Peony Palace of the Queen no matter what. Of course, as a Shadow she had seen the palace plans and knew its layout, but that didn't mean she spent her spare time messing around.

Squaring her shoulders, she decided that there was no point in trying to retrieve her regular clothing from the Prince's chambers, since he and Xia were no doubt very occupied. However, that meant she'd have to wear the silk dress until she could find something to steal and wear in its place. The thing she regretted the most was leaving behind her silver mask. Cursing herself and Xia, the only thing she could do now was to act normal in front of any inner palace servants she couldn't avoid and to get back to the Chancellor's residence as soon as she could.

Taking a quick breath, she calmed herself and changed the rhythm of her movements.

Right...I'm a woman right now, not the Crown Prince...

Shortening her strides, she moved slowly and gracefully, climbing the gentle rise of a stone bridge that had been built over a pond filled with boisterously splashing koi fish. As she came to the high centre of the bridge, she realized her mistake too late: at the bottom of the bridge, down the other side, was a tall man, who looked to be in his forties.

Dammit! I should have noticed the koi splashing! This time of year they are sluggish and they wouldn't have normally been this lively. This person...his clothes are very fine but very subtly worn...the Shoban yoke truly has done nothing for the palace budget...

Concealed by the construction of the bridge, the man had been there this entire time, with the only clue to his presence being the splashing of the koi reacting to the feed he was throwing into the pond.

The man's ear was very good. Even though her footfalls had been light, he turned to her immediately, and shifted his stance, a sure sign that he had been trained in martial arts.

A man with martial arts in fine clothes with access to the inner palace...she took in the thread of gold used to embroider the dragon patterns over the man's outer robe, and Feiyan realized with shock that this man was...

"Which concubine is this who comes into the King's presence but is slow to give her greeting?" asked the man with a gently teasing tone, eyes crinkling at the corners. "Have I startled you my dear?"

Feiyan flushed when she recalled what she was wearing. She was also relieved that she had automatically bent her head to hide her face, crossing her hands at her hip in a rigid curtsy.

"You may raise your eyes, little one. You must be new to the palace to have wandered here. Speak - what is your name?" asked the man. Although his voice was gentle, there was something hard about it as if he was warily assessing her.

Feiyan swallowed and slowly raised her face to his. As her eyes met his, she realized that he was staring at her, almost in horror.

"M-Mother?" the King blurted in shock, eyes huge. He gripped the railing of the bridge as if he was going to break it into two, and then he got a hold of himself. "No...you are not she."

"No...your Majesty. Please forgive me. This lowly one is a Shadow of Lord Mu's guard. I ask mercy for trespassing into the King's presence...this lowly one stumbled into this place by accident."