Chapter 15: Peony Token

Trying to hide his lack of poise, Pul immediately bowed low.

Senior Teacher Tu patted him reassuringly on the shoulder, ushering the boy over the threshold. Once Pul had entered, he then moved himself to a corner, barely containing his anticipation over how the Headmaster would handle the boy. The woman simply nodded to the old man and then turned her full scrutiny onto Pul.

"Headmaster," Pul knelt, shoving his nerves down into his stomach.

The woman laughed again.

"Please be at ease Student Pul! There is no need for formality, though I am sure that you are quite surprised that the Headmaster of the famed Royal Academy of Moutan is a woman."

Pul stiffened.

"Please forgive my earlier startlement. I meant no disrespect," he said in apology, colour splashing across his fair skin.

"That's fine. None was taken," she smiled kindly. "I am Headmaster Liwen Yi."

Liwen...? Wait...is she related to Consort Liwen? Ah! So, she comes from a powerful Moutan family. How interesting!

Taking a breath, he bowed again.

"I'm ready Headmaster. Please kindly direct me with your teaching."

Liwen Yi laughed her tinkling laugh again.

"Very well Student Pul! Come. Sit before me. Your placement testing begins now," she said, face becoming serious as she sat back down at her writing desk and promptly launched into the verbal testing.

The testing last two hours and Pul was surprised by the type and nature of the questions. They ranged from mathematics, to political theory, to art and culture. Each time, he was presented with a scenario and asked how he would approach the issue to solve it, or he was asked to give his opinion on a statement that the headmaster made. She barely made any comment, only occasionally asking a clarifying question before moving on to the next part of the test.

Luckily, Pul had realized very early that the test wasn't just about parroting back the knowledge, but about how to apply it in difficult scenarios and what his thought process was in terms of trying to resolve the problems presented.

Decision making is the basis of rule. If I do not do well here, Seiren will laugh at me...

While Liwen Yi's expression did not change as she heard his answers, the old man in the far corner tried hard to hide his excitement. It was very clear to him where the boy would place, but he wanted the Headmaster to say it herself.

Finally, Liwen Yi rose.

"Your answers are satisfactory, Student Pul. Senior Tu, he may join Student Iseulbi and the others in the purple class."

Moving to a set of drawers on the side wall, she pulled one open and removed a jade token with a purple tassel and handed it to him.

"This is the entry token for the Academy and its associated palace gate. You may come and go as you please, but do not lose the token. I'm sure Senior Tu has already warned you, but I say it again so remember it properly. Also, stay behind after class to receive your chore assignment. Regardless of station, everyone does chores in the morning and after class to maintain the Academy's grounds and classrooms...You will be no exception. Also, as a temporary student, the Star Tower is forbidden. Other than that, Moutan's Royal Academy welcomes you."

"Thank you, Headmaster!" he said, rising. He stood awkwardly for a moment, not sure how to ask.

"You have something else...?"

"The library...?"

The old man chuckled, answering for the Headmaster.

"Since you are placed in the purple class, young man, your token automatically allows you into the library tower and I am its guardian! You will be able to access all the books except those in the restricted section. Does that satisfy you?" he chuckled.