Chapter 11: Prince of Shobu

Kingdom of Moutan

The Past: 5th Year of Tianji: Spring, 1461

"Your Highness, this is a terrible idea," Feiyan sighed, crouching next to the nine-year-old Crown Prince on a high balcony.

Crown Prince Feiyu had then been known as Iseulbi, and more affectionately known to Feiyan as 'Bi.' Standing beside her, he made a scoffing noise, his face alight with laughter.

"Why do you have to spoil my mood, Xiao Yan?" he huffed in exasperation. "No one will notice us here and it will give us a perfect view of the mighty Prince of Shobu and his entourage as he parades into the city...in all his stunning glory..." Prince Bi added, his voice quietly dripping with an equal mix of contempt and awe.

Feiyan smothered a snort and then sighed again.

"I'm your body double and a Shadow guard. Of course, I'm worried," she said.

"Do you think I'd take you into the city alone? Haruka and Xing are somewhere here too. They won't let anything happen."

"Forget it..." she muttered to herself, softening to the pleased expression on his face. To the Prince she said: "Just remember, if they catch us and I am caned for it, you owe me one hundred gold, and I get to eat all your pastries for the entire week."

"It's a deal," the Prince chortled. "A'Yan, why do you put up such a fuss when you cave in so easily...and for sweets..."

He grinned at her and then reached out to poke her affectionately in the cheek.

She groaned internally already hearing in her head what the older Shadows would say later.

"The gold is for bribes, your Highness. If I have to be caned, at least if I bribe him in advance, your eunuch won't hit me so hard...the sweets are for my pride..." she mumbled, colouring.

The Prince laughed in her face, then he sobered.

"Mu Feiyan...I'm happiest when it's just us," he said, only just loud enough for her to hear above the noise of the cheering crowd lining the broad avenue below.

Feeling a deep rush of affection for her Prince, Feiyan grabbed him and squeezed her arms around him until he yelped and hit his fist on her back.

"Stop it! Look, he's coming!" Prince Bi yelled in her ear over the roar, still whacking her. "That idiot...war horns...he is being heralded by war horns..."

Feiyan swatted him back one last time for good measure and turned her attention down to the procession below them. Riding at the very front, flanked by two guards, the young Crown Prince of Shobu, Prince Seiren, waved to the crowd from atop a huge black horse.

Having just gone through his adult naming ceremony, seventeen year old Prince Seiren was the flower of Shoban youth. Dazzling as the sun, with his long, dark hair pulled up into a high ponytail, he wore a cheerful red headband tied over his handsome forehead, accentuating the brilliant blue of his eyes.

However, both Feiyan and Iseulbi frowned when they saw that a chest plate had been pulled over the beautiful geometrically patterned dark blue robe. Moreover, the red outer cloak with its golden tassels did nothing to disguise the wide armoured belt and thigh guards that partially covered the loose, pleated trousers. Paired swords thrust up from the side through his sword belt.

"How dare he!" seethed Prince Bi. "Wearing armour to meet his fiancée! He is looking down on Moutan with this display!"

Prince Bi's lips were pulled back into a snarl.