Chapter 13: Brothers

Kingdom of Shobu

Present: Late Autumn, 1471

Sitting high up on the roof ridge of the main castle keep of Shuto, the twenty-four year-old Second Prince of Shobu, Seiji, leaned back to gaze at the reddish moon. Even without the benefit of a naming ceremony, Seiji had taken his adult name a long time ago, and the child who had once been known as Pul, was now a man.

Snow had already fallen in Shobu, but it was a strangely clear night. Despite that, the colour of the moon was unnatural as if a bloody mist concealed its true face. It was eerie, hanging so large and low in the sky that it seemed to sit right in the cradle of the partially frozen lake, like a luminous red pearl.

An unnatural colour for an unnatural night.

Concealing his impatience, Seiji flicked his wrist and the shinobi who had seemed part of the landscape suddenly unmolded himself from the roof tiles and knelt to his Prince.

"The thing I told you to investigate...have you discovered anything?" Seiji asked quietly, his voice low and deep in the darkness of the night.

The shinobi was shaking his head.

"We are still searching, your Highness," he said, not daring to look up.

Seiji's jeweled blue eyes flashed in the darkness, but other than that he gave no other sign of his displeasure.

"Continue as I've commanded. I want to know for sure if she's dead. Continue to monitor the activity on that side as well."

"Yes, your Highness....ehm..."

"There's something else?" Seiji asked, lips tilting slightly.

Kurenai's being more cautious than usual tonight...is it because it's almost time? I'm wearing the metal gauntlets so he shouldn't be able to see anything...

His fingers flexed involuntarily, scrapping gouges into the stone tiles.

"The tribute envoy has arrived in Moutan."

"Oh?"

"The King chose Furusawa Ranmaru this time. I thought your Highness would want to know."

Furusawa...

"I see. Is there anything else?" he asked, sounding bored.

"No, your Highness. I take my leave," said the shinobi, immediately melting back into the landscape as if he'd never existed.

A complicated mix of feelings rose up in Seiji's chest, making his throat thick with bitterness.

"Furusawa Ranmaru. That's a name I haven't spoken aloud for a long time," he mused.

***

Kingdom of Moutan

The Past: 5th Year of Tianji, mid-Summer, 1461

Although the assassination attempt had had Seiren's retainers clamouring to return to Shobu, he had refused. The marriage alliance and its details were finalized at the end of the spring, and Seiren and Pul stayed in Moutan for a few more months as originally agreed with Xiao Jing Feng. While Seiren occupied himself by touring adjacent areas and learning about the governance in the palace, Pul was often left to his own devices.

By the time Seiren returned from his outing, it was already after the time for the evening meal, and the two princes finally had a chance to sit down to talk together in their guest palace.