Chapter 14: Royal Academy

Pul's first day at the academy was marred by an altercation that started in front of the lotus pond.

As he propped himself up on one hand, he ground his fingertips into the dirt in rage and humiliation as they laughed above him. He could only grit his teeth, grunting, as he slowly lifted his upper body, and tried to blink his left eye clear of the mud and pond water that had been thrown in his face.

They were shouting and hollering above him, taunting him, as he pushed to his knees, coughing.

Why...? he wondered.

A few hours ago, when he entered the academy precinct located in an outer ward of the the palace, he had been surprised by what he saw. The academy had been deliberately situated close to one of the palace gates and as he moved closer, accompanied by one of his brother's guards and a palace eunuch, he saw that it was not just young nobles that were entering the Royal academy's doors, but commoners who had special pass tokens denoting that they were students. Some of them were even carrying on lively conversations with passing officials who had stopped to exchange greetings.

Standing in front of the door, was an old man sweeping before the entry with a broom.

"Well, well! Who do we have here?" asked the old man when Pul arrived. The old man, who appeared to be the gatekeeper, was very simply, but neatly dressed in a plummy purple robe, his top knot only adorned by a single black ribbon. He waggled his bushy eyebrows cheerfully, stroking a hand over his neat moustache and closely trimmed beard, as Pul stepped forward.

Pul bowed with cupped hands in the Moutan fashion.

"Greetings to you, sir. I am Pul, the page of Crown Prince Seiren of Shobu. At his command, I've come to learn at the academy while we are staying in Moutan."

The gatekeeper's eyes crinkled in welcome, but the eyebrows raised expectantly as they moved to the young eunuch at Pul's side, who startled contritely out of his reverie.

"Ahh! Apologies, Senior Teacher Tu! I forgot myself...This is the letter of introduction from his Majesty!" he bowed, extending the letter with both hands.

Pul choked realizing that he had just dodged trouble through politeness. So, the old man was not a gatekeeper, but a teacher of the academy! The old man did not miss the look on Pul's face and chuckled. Taking the letter, he unsealed the envelope and quickly scanned its contents. He recognized with a spurt of excitement that this was the King's own hand and not Byul's who normally wrote official correspondence on behalf of his master.

Hah. I was right. Even as he came up the avenue, I could see it in his posture and the way he moved...it's all over the bow he made just now and his way of speaking. He's not a simple page, this one...

"Young man, when we enter here at the gates of the Royal Academy of Moutan, we leave the trappings of our rank and our preconceptions at the door. The things that hamper the sharpness of our minds should be cast aside," he said, and smiled at the cautious look on Pul's face.

"I understand Senior Teacher," Pul nodded. "Please explain the rules to me so that I can improve myself."

"Young man, it's good that you understand!" laughed the old man. "Come with me."

But before Pul followed after the teacher, he bowed to the young eunuch, also signalling to his brother's guard that he could return to the guest palace.

"Thank you, Eunuch Cheng, for showing the way," he said.

"Ohh? You remembered my name! You are very welcome, young page of Shobu's Crown Prince! I take my leave then!" smiled the eunuch, genuinely pleased.