[6] Pet names

"the fear is real, the danger is not"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

TW: This first part of this chapter depicts scenes of anxiety and a panic attack.

"Should we wake her up?" I hear Harper whisper.

"It's already 1:00 PM" Aspen backs up her question in a quiet tone.

"But she had a rough night last night, she probably needs this." Jemma's words remind me of the last 12 hours. 

"If we don't wake her up right now she's not going to be able to fall back asleep tonight." Beth, Harper's girlfriend reasons.

"Why don't we just give her something to eat and drink and ask how she's feeling." Harper's words get louder as she tiptoes towards my bed.

I open my eyes slowly, bracing them for the bright light the sun is giving off.

"Did we wake you?" I watch Aspen's blonde curly hair bounce as she walks closer to me and sits down beside me.

"Sorta, but that's okay, I think I got enough sleep."

The girls look at me with worry and sympathy coating their faces

"I'm fine you guys, honestly." But my words don't lessen their concern.

I think back to what happened a couple hours after I fell asleep last night.

I wake up, my heart beating rapidly and my hands already shaking.

Crap.

I text my mom hoping for a response but I know she's probably fast asleep "Mom, it's happening again."

My suspicions are made true when she doesn't text back within a couple minutes. Now my breathing is worse and my head is spinning, so I walk to Jemma's room. 

"Jemma?" I whisper into the darkness. 

"Are you okay, Dell?" Jemma wakes up and reaches over to turn her lamp on.

"Oh no." She mutters to herself and brings her hand up to wipe a tear off my cheek I didn't realize had fallen.

I try and talk, to explain what's going on, but no words come out. Luckily, my best friend of 16 years has been through this with me countless times.

"I need you to breathe with me, Delaney."

"One."

I take a deep breath in, trying my best to focus on her counting instead of the pit in my stomach.

"Two."

I cling on to her words like a life rope

"Three."