[58] I'm home

"the most beautiful part is, i wasn't even looking when i found you"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

FIVE YEARS LATER

"Laney, I'm home!" I yell through the house as I roll my suitcase behind me.

It's been a couple days since I've seen her and yet, just like always, it feels like it's been months. Away games definitely aren't my favourite parts of playing in the NHL but it definitely reminds me how much I appreciate and love my girlfriend.

I love Owen too, but in no way does he compare. The two of us made it happen. After graduating from university, we got drafted and signed to the same team. It really has been a blessing to be able to do this all with him. During our first couple years as rookies, he was my rock on and off the ice. We've been playing together for what feels like forever and our teamwork on the ice shows it.

The two of us are pretty great players on our own, but put us out there together, and we're unstoppable. Even though he's a goalie, we find a way to work with each other, and we've managed to form a pretty impressive reputation.

Before we outgrew the title of the team rookies, we were forced to bunk together in almost every hotel we stayed at. Let me just say, living with that man is a challenge and a half. We're the same age, and technically he's a few months older than me, but god he makes me feel like I'm fifty already. I've never in my life known someone with more energy.

His never-ending line of women also proved to be rather annoying. There's been a lot of changes over the last five years, but his fucking habits have stayed the same. They may have even gotten worse. I swear, he sleeps with a different chick every night, and the fact that he's a good looking dude doing well in the NHL supplies his bad habits like a well-oiled train.

Our entire friend group has tried to get him to settle down, I mean we all have, and show him there's more to life when you get into a loving relationship. He won't have it. Laney tried setting him up twice with nice girls from law school and after both of them blocked her on social media and stopped talking to her, she decided to call it quits.

"You're back!" My girlfriend runs through the hallway of our home and jumps into my arms. The reaction I get from her every time I come home never gets old.

"I missed you, baby," I whisper into the crook of her neck as she snuggles into me.

She plants her lips on mine and smiles down at me.

I feel something nudge the bottom of my leg and I look down at our golden retriever, Bentley. About a year into Laney's law school, we decided it was time to start somewhat of a family and he's been the perfect addition.