[16] Not all that bad

"the best people come unexpectedly"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

The sun shines brightly through the kitchen window and invades my eyes.

I roll over to get away from the blinding light and I immediately regret the choice of sleeping on the floor.

God, I don't think my neck could hurt more.

I decide I'm never going to be able to fall back asleep so I get up and start making some coffee.

I watch as Beth wakes up and joins me in the kitchen. The two of us are the early risers of the group and I don't expect the other 3 girls to be awake for another hour or so.

"How was your sleep, Beth?" I ask as she reaches for a mug.

"Okay, what about you?"

"Bad, very bad, I think I broke my neck." My wince answers her question alone.

"Probably would've been more comfortable on the couch rather than the floor, huh Dell?"

I nod my head, agreeing, not realizing I just fell into her trap.

"Maybe a couch that belongs to a certain boy. Especially if that boy was holding onto you for dear life while you slept."

My jaw falls and I groan remembering every one of the girls is going to be bothering me about this today.

Beth chuckles at my embarrassment and I bury my face in my hands.

"In all honesty though, what's going on with the two of you? Didn't you hate him?"

"I did, but he's not all that bad anymore."

My words remind me of the first time we met and I can't help but wonder where my promise to give him the cold shoulder went.

She knowingly smirks at me and waits for me to go on.

"We are just friends and maybe not even that, he's probably just being nice tp me so he doesn't fail."

"From what I saw, the pair of you are more than just friends and way beyond study partners."

I roll my eyes and change the subject, desperate to stop talking about this.

I ask about her soccer practice last night and we spend close to an hour talking about whatever comes to mind.

Finally, the rest of the girls get up and join our conversation.

Unfortunately for me, Harper quickly switches the topic back to Sterling and I mentally prepare myself to be bombarded with questions.

"So are you going to tell us what the fuck happened last night?" Her green eyes sparkle with curiosity.