[41] Don't panic

"we haven't said it, but we both feel it"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

I shut my textbook for the first time in what feels like hours and decide to stop studying for a bit. I exit my room and walk downstairs, heading straight to the kitchen.

I have the whole house to myself tonight. Jemma is out with Chase and the rest of the girls are at their own place. The boys have a hockey game tonight but I was too swamped with classwork to go.

I pull out an orange from the fridge and start peeling it. My phone starts to ring, effectively startling me, and I pick it up off the counter.

I look down at the screen and notice the call is coming from Sterling. Weird considering he should be in the middle of a hockey game right now.

"Delaney?" Luke's voice is the first thing I hear when I answer the call.

My heart instantly drops when Sterling isn't the person on the other line, and I prepare myself for the worst.

"Luke? What's up? Where's Sterling?"

"Don't panic." His voice is surprisingly steady and calm for the two words he just uttered.

Instantly, I feel sick to my stomach.

"Don't tell her that, that's what's going to make her panic, give me the phone you moron," Mason tells off Luke and his voice gets louder as, I assume, he takes the phone from him.

"What the fuck is going on?" I ask, desperation dripping from my words.

"Sterling is in the hospital."

"What?" My voice breaks and I will myself not to start crying.

"Delaney, relax, he's okay."

"No he's not! You don't go to the hospital when you're okay. You go to the hospital when you're hurt, or sick, or dying," I practically yet at Mason through my phone.

"Delaney," Mason's voice is placid trying to get me to calm down.

"Oh my god," I mutter. "What happened? Is he okay? Which hospital? I'll be right over, I just need to get my shoes on, and find my bag." I start frantically walking around my house, looking for everything I need. I'm so panicked I can't even remember what I do need or where it is.

"Keys," I start listing things off out loud, Mason probably freaked out by me on the other line.

"Wallet,"

"Delaney," he tries to get through to me.

It's no use.

"Jacket. I need a jacket. Hospitals are cold." I move on to the next item, not even having found the previous two.