Twenty Three

It was late when you arrived at your destination, a cute boutique hotel on a soft white sand beach, lush rain forest trees lining the long driveway. The moon was high in the clear star speckled sky, you'd never seen so many in your life.

While the two of you waited for Kyujin and Ji Hoon to check in and then sweep the room for recording devices you sat in the car. Joon was admiring you leaning out the window looking up at the sky.

"Did you and Jackson plan this trip for when he died?" Your heart clenched and you found you couldn't look at Joon.

"No, this isn't a memorial trip. If you want to talk about Jackson, great, let's talk about him, but if you don't, we won't." He tugged your hand until you turned and looked at him. He smiled softly and let his fingers play across yours.

"You've spent the last year mourning your husband, before he was even gone. You're going to spend the rest of your life grieving for him in some capacity. This is just the chance to change the scenery and breathe for a while. Because after this there's a lot of reality to get back to facing."

"But you said Jackson always wanted to climb a volcano."

"It gave me the idea for this trip, but aside from that, none of this has anything to do with him. Outdoors wasn't really his thing." You nodded agreeing with Joon, he hadn't been interested in any hiking or sight seeing on your honeymoon. He was much more comfortable in a busy city.

"Isn't it awful that I'm on vacation less than a week after my husband died?" Guilt swam through your stomach and you leaned against Joon's shoulder.

"What are you supposed to do Y/N? Curl up in your bed and die with him? You're not here celebrating his death, you're here finding the peace and strength to continue the rest of your life without him. Don't feel guilty for that, he'd want that more than endless bereavement. The presence of happiness doesn't cancel out your sorrow for him."

You were both interrupted at a polite knock on the glass of Joon's window. He lowered it and Kyujin informed him that the rooms were ready. They removed all the luggage from the trunk and everyone made their way down the winding path to the rooms. The air was cool and smelled of earth and fragrant blossoms, you couldn't wait to explore the area.

They left you at your room, and disappeared into a room across a walkway, Joon locking the door behind them. It was gorgeous, a huge living space that overlooked trees leading to the beach, wide patio doors that were already open letting in a salty breeze. To one side was a bathroom with both a rainfall shower and a giant deep stone tub with windows along the ceiling that showed the stars. The bedroom had a king size bed with crisp linen sheets and a palm frond ceiling fan lazily spinning.

"Is this alright? I know you said one room, but I should have asked one or two beds." Joon's voice sounded hesitant and you smiled at him.

"It's perfect, thank you Joon."

The two of you unpacked in a companionable silence, placing clothing in drawers or on hangers, toiletries neatly on bathroom shelves. Your phone was mostly dead and you pulled your charger from your bag but then shrugged and tossed it into the bottom of your bag and into the closet. You'd call your mom from the airport to let her know you were in Costa Rica with Joon and would call again in a few days. You didn't have any other reason to need your phone.

"Can we walk down to the beach?" You sat on the bed watching Joon hang up a shirt, smoothing the fabric with his hand.

"Let's go then." Joon rolled your suitcases into the closet and shut the door, slipping out of his shoes, yours next to them.

You linked your fingers through his and he led you to the patio doors and past lounge chairs and wicker furniture. Beyond the sitting area was a tall wrought iron fencing enclosing the area. Instead of looking harsh it was delicate, it's iron work looping in curls that reflected the branches of the trees surrounding you. When Joon turned the handle of the gate it was locked.