Thirty Two

On the way back from Poas you'd stopped to get food in San Jose, a kind of quiet silence enveloping you. You'd not realized how hard letting go of Jackson would be, even if it had only been metaphorical. You weren't sure you would remember the beauty of the crater lake, but you would remember how standing there had made you feel.

"That wasn't all his ashes was it?" You didn't think a whole person could possibly fit in that canister.

"No, they were divided into four containers. Two for his parents and two for you. One for the volcano and one for the masoleum, so friends and fans can visit him if they want."

You sighed, the feeling still heavy in your chest. You'd thought you'd feel lighter somehow but grief was still holding you, it would for a while you thought.

"Do you still want to extend our stay?" Joon whispered against your ear as Kyujin maneuvered the car into a parking space of a local restaurant.

"Of course, I think I just need to relax the rest of the day. Maybe we should go to that museum we didn't have time for yesterday? Popular Culture Museum?"

"Museums are more my thing than yours, are you sure?" Joon brushed his fingertips over the back of your hand, it centered you.

"Seeing you so relaxed and happy makes me feel the same." Joon agreed with a nod and he reached for the handle of the car door.

"Wait Joon. That blue car has been following us since we were a few miles from town, more than twenty minutes. I don't think it's anything serious but wait here while Kyujin clears the restaurant." Ji Hoon instructed turning to stare out the back window. You turned your head following his gaze and saw a car parked about a block away. It was angled haphazardly into the spot as if they could bolt at any moment.

Ji Hoon was tense, all business suddenly. You hadn't seen that side of him since the airport. Kyujin sat up straighter, and left the car slipping his ear piece in. Ji Hoon did the same and moved into the driver's seat, ready to pull away if necessary.

After a couple moments a woman got out of the blue car and walked into a grocery store across the street, her purse thrown over her shoulder. A man followed, opening the back door to remove a baby seat, then he walked into the store following the woman. From a distance and with them wearing sunglasses you couldn't tell much about them. Something about the situation made you nervous.

"How are you so calm Joon?" He shrugged and looked out the window.

"Getting irritated every time fans or press is around would just keep me irritated all the time. Most of them mean no harm and don't act crazy, besides it's not my job to deal with it. This is exactly why we're traveling with security."

"Did you post any pictures to Instagram?" Ji Hoon glanced in the rear view mirror at Joon.

"Of course not, I know to only post pics well after I'm no longer in the vicinity of where they were taken." Joon rolled his eyes but Ji Hoon didn't seem appeased. He pressed his fingers to his ear piece listening.

"Kyujin says we're good, I'll wait at the entrance until they leave the store then I'll join you."

It took a full thirty minutes before Ji Hoon slipped into the booth next to Kyujin. He immediately gulped down the glass of water, the clink against the table loud as he set it back down.

"I ordered you ceviche." You smiled at him knowing his love of fish and he winked gratefully.

"It's hot out there, the couple finally returned with groceries and left. False alarm, but better safe than sorry." The waiter refilled his drink and he sipped it.