Expectations

Narrator's POV:

Sofia was so confused, after what happened with the thunder Dolores went running to her room.

Sofia: What does she mean she doesn't want to be my friend...Did I do something wrong?

Sofia considered it but was distracted when she heard the front door slam and heavy footsteps coming upstairs. It was...

Isabela.

Sofia has never seen Isabela look so genuinely angry, yet so beautiful. Isabela's gaze was drawn to her. She clearly hadn't expected anyone to be here; everyone else was doing their chores or in their rooms, so she was taken aback when she saw Sofia. Isabela was agitated as she grabbed Sofia's hand and clumsily led her to her room. As they entered Isabela's room, Sofia brows furrowed in worried.

Sofia: Are you all right?

Isabela looked at her, dumbfounded.

Isabela: Am I okay? You want to know if I'm okay?

She questioned in return, so quietly that Sofia could barely hear her. Sofia opened her mouth to say something, but Isabela quickly interrupted with nothing less than a shriek.

Isabela: Do I look okay, Sofia?!

Sofia flinched, and Isabela took a deep breath in an attempt to relax.

Isabela: I'm sorry, Sofi, I just-I Just had a bad day.

Sofia walks over to Isabela's bed sitting down and pats the spot next to her. Isabela received a gentle smile from her.

Sofia: Would it help to talk about it?

Sofia's offer seemed to calm her down a little. She huffed and lowered her shoulders before walking over to Sofia and taking a seat on the bed. She crossed her arms and began to tell her about her night, a small pout on her face.

Isabela: I went on a date with Mariano, and everything was going swimmingly until he said he needed to show me something. I didn't think much of it, so I followed him out to a spot by the river. . It started out well enough, but...

Her grip on the bed's edge became so tight that her knuckles turned white.

Isabela: He tried kissing me!

Sofia's eyes widened; she was, of course, envious. Sofia could tell he was bold; she just wished he'd been able to detect Isabela's discomfort before doing something like that. Sofia looked at Isabela as red flowers bloomed in her hair remembering the event, and Sofia reached up to pick them out with her hand. Trying to ignore the fact that Isabela's cheeks had turned as red as the flowers. It was no time to tease her.

Sofia: What did you do?

Isabela: I could see him leaning in, so I just turned my head and pointed at a bird, hoping it would distract him-which, by the way, it did. He's just so dense!

Isabela screamed and kicked her legs.

Sofia: And then what?

Isabela: He then offered to walk me home, but I declined, saying I'd be fine walking myself, and I dashed out as quickly as I could. Of course, he tried to kiss me again, and I just hugged him to block it-how stupid is that? Isn't he capable of taking a hint?

Isabela spoke at breakneck speed, making so many hand gestures and disgusted expressions that it was difficult to understand what she was saying.

Sofia: So you don't like him?

Isabela: Certainly not! I like-

Isabela looked at Sofia, her cheeks flushing as she turned her head and crossed her arms.