Your Face Is Red

Narrator's POV:

Sofia was sleeping peacefully in her house when Coco came through the window tweeting, attempting to wake her up. Sofia rolled around in her sheets, her eyes squeezed shut and refusing to open. Dolores slowly opens Sofia's door, speaking softly and gently.

Dolores: It's time for you to wake up, Sofia. Remember you said you'd come early to help us set up the decorations for Antonio's ceremony today?

Sofia jumped out of bed and stood up, only to fall face first on the floor. She groaned and lifted her head, looking over her shoulder to see her foot had become entangled in the covers. She let out another groan and lets her head fall to the floor once more. Dolores chuckles as Sofia slowly raises her head to look at her. She gets up, dusts herself off, and turns away from Dolores who is now looking puzzled at her. That is, until Sofia begins tacking her clothes off, causing Dolores to squeak and turn away in embarrassment.

 That is, until Sofia begins tacking her clothes off, causing Dolores to squeak and turn away in embarrassment

Dolores: Why did you do that...?

Dolores whispered, but Sofia could still hear it.

Sofia: What is it?

Sofia raises her brow at Dolores as she walks to her closet. She chuckles when she notices Dolores looking away.

Sofia: Dios mío, we're both girls Dol!

Dolores: Sofi, you could have at least warned me...

Sofia chuckles again, letting out a "sorry"; she wasn't self-conscious about her appearance, but she knew Dolores wouldn't judge her. Coco flies out the window to help out as soon as Sofia got ready. Sofia and Dolores leave Sofia's house and make their way to Casita. Dolores was walking close to Sofia. Very close. Their hands would occasionally brush against each other. Sofia tilted her head as she observed Dolores's flustered expression.

Sofia: Your face is red.

Dolores when stiff for a moment but then relaxed responding to Sofia.

Dolores: I have an excuse.

Sofia: And what's that?

Dolores: A pretty girl changed in front of my eyes. Is it possible to blame me?

Sofia appeared surprised...was Dolores flirting with her? She tried to hide her flustered expression by looking down, but Dolores saw right through her.

Dolores: See? Now your face is red. What's your excuse?

Sofia: A pretty girl just complimented me...

Dolores blush as she looked at Sofia embarrassed.

Dolores: You think I'm pretty...

Sofia stares at Dolores, dumbfounded, until she gently smiles at her, causing Dolores to blush even more.

Sofia: Of course Dol, you're drop dead gorgeous!

Dolores simply stared at Sofia, admiring her smile, until she spoke quietly.

Dolores: T-thank you...

Sofia: You don't have to thank me. I'm sure you've heard that before.

Dolores: True, but not everyone was there for me when my heart was broken, and you may be the only one who cares enough to speak quietly to me.

Sofia couldn't possibly argue with that. She was also extremely happy that Dolores recognized and appreciated her efforts.

Sofia: I try my best.

Dolores: I know you do...

Dolores said, finally having the confidence to grab Sofia's hand, and to her surprise, Sofia didn't pull back at all, instead she gave Dolores' hand a gentle squeeze.

Sofia's POV:

Dolores let go of my hand as we entered casita.

Sofia: Well, it was enjoyable while it lasted...

Dolores laughed and kissed my cheek as she ran away. I stood there dumbfounded as I noticed Isabela staring at me, she had accidentally filled Señora Pepa's face with flowers.

Isabela: I'm so sorry, Tia Pepa!

Pepa: It's okay mija, we have plenty of flowers now.

Felix laughed at his wife's remark as Isabela sigh and when she saw Mirabel she flipped her hair into her face.

Isabela: A little sisterly advice, if you weren't always working too hard, you wouldn't be in the way.

I frowned at that comment when I saw Mirabel look sad for a moment, but she didn't let it bother her and talked back to Isabela.

Mirabel: Actually, Isa, this is called helping.

I smiled, Isabela grunted and Maribel smacked her face against the wall by accident when she was not paying attention. I panicked and ran straight to Maribel, but Isabela grabbed me before I could reach her.

Isabela: What do you think you're doing? And what were you up to with Dolores?

Isabela interrogated me. I huffed and ignored the question about Dolores because I was now preoccupied with Mirabel.

Sofia: I'm going to Mirabel to help her with her stuff.

Isabela: Oh no, you know how much I despise her.

I frown even more...What's the deal with her today?

Isabela: Sofia, you don't get it! I can't love myself unless I'm perfect!

Sofia: Right, she must be under a lot of pressure today with the ceremony... I'm sure everyone is...

I look at Isabela as I sigh, carefully grabbing her face and making her look at me. My face was serious, whereas Isabela's was red with flowers in her hair. I don't believe she expected me to do this.

Sofia: Do you love your sister?

Isabela looked surprised as she grabbed my hand, but she didn't pull away from my touch.

Isabela: What kind of question is that?

Sofia: Isabela...

She flinched slightly at my now cold tone. I relax with a sigh.

Sofia: Simply answer my question...

I said softly. She sighed and pulled away, her gaze shifting to another direction.

Isabela: Y-yes.

She responded hesitantly. I smiled and took her hand in mine, gently squeezing it.

Sofia: Then promise me you will try to be nice to her. Don't be rude to her. If she wants to help, let her. If she struggles, help her, okay?

I adviced. She nodded and I pout.

Sofia: Isabela...promise...

I whine as Isabela sigh and then look at me speaking up.

Isabela: I promise.

I smiled hugging her.

Sofia: Everything will be fine, I promise...

I whisper in Isabela's ear as I pull away. She smiles as I held her hand to calm her down before we parted ways. Isabela when to greet people and I when to assist Mirabel.