part eight

Aurora

During the short drive to set, Harry and I don't speak but I can feel him looking over at me any chance he gets. I do my best to ignore him and go over the script in my head. Part of me is glad today's scene is me yelling at Harry. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to manage to yell at him but right now, I have so much anger building up inside me that I can't wait.

Once we get to set, Harry parks his car and I get off the car quickly.

"Thanks, Harry. See you in a few," I say as I walk towards my makeup trailer.

I can hear his footsteps following closely behind, "Rory, wait."

He grabs my upper arm gently and my father's voice is in my head again. I can hear my father's cold voice calling my name and I need it gone.

"Aurora," I say, "Please, can you call me Aurora? At least for today?"

I'm facing Harry now. I feel the tears forming and I'm doing my best to hold myself together. I need Harry to call me Aurora, not Rory. For some reason Harry's voice erases my father's and I'm craving to hear it come out of his mouth today, right now.

"What?" He asks, confused.

"Please, Harry. Call me Aurora. I need you to call me Aurora, not Rory," I beg.

His eyes soften, "Okay...Aurora."

I sigh and shut my eyes. When I open them again, Harry's eye contact has become intense. It feels like he's reading my mind, my every thought.

"Ro!" I hear Lexi say. Harry's hand drops from my upper arm hesitantly.

I turn and see her racing towards me, the lanyard around her neck swinging side to side. As soon as our eyes meet, her eyebrows crease. She quickly scans my face and a small sad smile appears on her face. I didn't have to say anything but she knows.

She embraces me as soon as she's close enough and I feel like collapsing into her arms. She rubs my back softly and kisses the side of my face.

"Come on, let's get you to makeup," she says. "Thank you for bringing her, Harry."

He nods, "If you need anything.."

"I'm okay," I reply, "thanks."

Lexi takes my hand in hers and walks with my to the makeup trailer. She doesn't say anything and neither do I. Lexi has known me long enough to know how to deal with me when my father is involved. She's going to give me as much space as necessary and she's going to make sure to be right by my side the whole day. It's almost like I feel her go into her overprotective mode.

I see Andrea waiting by the makeup trailer as we get closer. She's on the phone but quickly hangs up when she sees us approaching.

"Andrea," Lexi says, "Everything ready?"

Andrea looks at me then back at Lexi, "Yes, everything is ready."

"Perfect, thank you," Lexi replies. Every time my father and I had an argument back home, I would go silent. With everyone. I always felt so drained after arguing with him and Lexi quickly took over for me every time. Up until she moved away. Even then, Lexi would be on FaceTime with me going about her day but taking me with her. I never feel alone when I have Lexi.

Lexi would make sure no one asked too many questions in school. Tell the teachers I lost my voice if I would get called on and answer for me. Always carried tissues in her bag in case I lost it at any moment. If I did start randomly crying, she'd hold me. She'd block me from everyone and just let me cry.