part fifteen

Friday December 9th
Aurora

Lexi squeezes my hand as we enter the huge building we're meeting Harry's PR team at. Lexi and I are taken back by the beauty and elegance of the building.

"Everything is so clean and shiny," Lexi whispers.

I nod, "I'm not sure I want to do this anymore."

"Ro, please. You can't talk yourself out of this now. We're here, come on."

Lexi guides me to the receptionist at the large desk a few feet in front of us. She looks up and smiles, showing off her pearly white teeth.

"How can I direct you?" She says, looking over both me and Lexi.

I shift a little, feeling a bit underdressed. The woman in front of us has beautiful blond hair that is curled to perfection and is wearing a red dress that makes her figure look good even sitting down. Lexi must feel the same because she stands straighter and puts on her best fake smile that she uses when meeting Jason's coworkers.

"Yes, we're here for a meeting with Harry."

She looks us up and down then begins typing on her computer. I lean forward a little trying to peek at what she's looking at but I can't make anything out. I do, however, see the plaque with her name on it: Chloe.

She shakes her head, "There must be some confusion. Mr Styles has no appointments today."

Lexi furrows her eyebrows and we exchange a glance. I shake my head, confused.

"Is today Friday, December 9th?" I ask.

Chloe nods and says, "You've clearly been mistaken. Mr Styles rarely takes on meetings with..." she looks us up and down once more, "random people. They usually have to be worth his time."

"No, we have the meeting today," Lexi says clearly frustrated with Chloe. "Can't you just call him down here? He'll tell you we're not random people and obviously worth his time."

"Sorry, if you're not on my log, I cannot help you. Mr Styles is a busy man. I will not interrupt him if you are not on my log."

Lexi sighs in frustration and I am about to suggest that I give him a call instead when we hear our names coming from the entrance.

"Lex, Aurora!"

He rushes over and gives us each a hug and kiss on the cheek. Lexi tosses an angry glance in Chloe's direction

"Mr Styles, your friends said they had an appointment with you but they don't appear in the log," Chloe says, getting up and going around the desk to stand in front of Harry.

"That's my mistake, Chloe. Janine is on vacation and I forgot to add it in," Harry says.

"Oh, of course. Is there anything I can get you guys?" She asks, nicer than before.

Lexi and I look at each other and roll our eyes. We've dealt with our fair share of mean girls throughout our friendship so we just do our best to ignore them. However, Chloe seems to have gotten under Lexi's skin because she replies:

"How about an apology?"

"Excuse me?" Chloe asks, innocently.

"An apology. For how you just spoke to us," she demands as she crosses her arms.

Harry looks between them both and raises an eyebrow at Chloe, "What's happening?"

"Noth–"

"Chloe here was giving us quite the attitude because we didn't show up in her precious log. She claimed you didn't take meetings with 'random people.'" Lexi looks over at Chloe, "She said the people the people you meet with have to be worth your time, clearly insinuating we aren't."