part seventeen

December 25
Aurora

I wrap my blanket around myself tighter as I try to get warm. I flew in to Chicago to spend Christmas with my mom and my father two days ago and I'm already itching to go home. I didn't even bother unpacking in case I needed to leave earlier than intended. I sit in the attic my father turned into a small reading room and I look out the small window.

When I was younger, Alex and I would hide up here when dad was drunk and angry. It became our safe haven. Alex insisted to our father that a cozy reading room would be perfect for the attic. Whenever our father was drunk and angry and Alex would hide with me here, he'd always bring a book along. He's probably the reason why I enjoy reading. It became an escape from all of this.

Alex couldn't fly in because of another case but I think he just doesn't want to face our father. It's not like I can blame him. I didn't want to come either but I refused to let my father come in the way of seeing my mom. She's currently making breakfast and the smell hits me all the way up here. I can see my father outside in the snow talking with one of his friends, Santiago, and chopping up some firewood. Santiago and my father met in high school and have been friends ever since. They couldn't be more different. To this day, I do not understand their friendship.

He has always been so kind to us all. He calls on our birthdays, sends mom flowers on Mother's Day, and always visits on Christmas. When I was younger, he'd always bring me a stocking full of candy. As I got older, it became cash. Santiago arrived twenty minutes ago but I haven't felt the need to go outside just yet.

Santiago looks up and spots me through the attic window. He smiles brightly and waves. My father turns around and sees me, giving me an angry scowl. That's my cue to come out and say hello. I wave back and get up from my spot and make my way down. I throw on my snow boots and my jacket then go meet Santiago outside.

He's a year older than my dad but he looks incredibly young. He has beautiful tan skin and the prettiest hazel eyes. His brown curly hair has small streaks of white and he's grown out his beard but he's still very attractive.

"Princesa Aurora!" He calls when he sees me emerge from the door.

"Hola, Santiago," I smile.

When I first met Harry he asked if my parents liked princesses and I said no. That they probably didn't even know who Princess Aurora was but I had clearly forgotten about Santiago. No matter how old I get, he always calls me Princesa Aurora. It warms my heart every time.

As I reach him, he pulls me in for a hug and kisses my forehead. Then he holds me at arms distance and looks me over as if to make sure I'm in one piece.

"My, you look great, mija."

"Thank you," I reply, kindly. "How was the drive?"

"Oh, horrible. Snow everywhere! I wasn't sure if I'd make it," he says, letting me go. "Princesa, I saw that video you're in. With that white singer."

I chuckle, "Harry Styles."

I miss Harry. He left the day after his album was released because Gemma called and said their mom had been in a car accident. Apparently she's okay, just a broken leg but it shook Harry. He flew out as soon as he heard. He texted me before he boarded the plane to let me know he was going to be in London until the 28th.

His album release party was amazing. We drank and danced all night. A part of me felt like something shifted between us that night but I couldn't really talk to him about it since he left so fast and his mom needed him. An article came out about us with a few pictures but Laurie assured me it was perfectly okay. It's what we wanted, for people to start speculating.