part twenty

New Years Eve Party
(continued)

Aurora

He kissed me. Kissed me so passionately I almost forgot we were in public. He kissed me as if he were starving and only my lips could help him. I felt the hunger. But then I pulled away and I saw the look he gave Chris. He looked at Chris like he just won some game between the two. A game where they battled to see who would keep me at the end of the night.

I smile the fakest smile I can muster and avoid Chris' gaze. I can feel his eyes on me and Harry's hand lingering softly on my back. It's as if he's scared to touch me.

"Well, we have got to get going. We have an early day with the kids tomorrow. Aurora, it was a pleasure meeting you. We have to do this again sometime." Blake says, hugging me tightly.

"Of course. I'd love that."

Ryan hugs me too and then ruffles my hair. "Good meeting you, kid. We'll take you out to lunch soon, okay?"

"I appreciate it. Get home safe," I say, fighting the urge not to cry. This whole night has been a mess. Between the fight Harry and I had earlier, him leaving me most of the night, and the kiss. The kiss he used to make Chris jealous.

They say their goodbyes and it's just us three left. There's a weird tension between us three and I clear my throat. "Chris, here's your jacket." I say, taking it off.

"You warm enough now?" He asks, sympathy in his eyes. I nod and look away, scared that he can see through me.

"Thank you," I say. He half smiles and puts on his jacket.

A girl approaches Chris and grabs his arm. Chris turns to her and smiles. "Sydney, how are you?"

"Hi, can I steal you for a moment?" She smiles. He nods then turns to us to say goodbye. He gives me a small hug and shakes Harry's hand reluctantly before leaving us alone.

As soon as Chris walks away far enough, I walk away from Harry. My eyes scan the crowd looking for Florence to say goodbye but when I see her on the dance floor with her boyfriend, I head straight to the elevator. I feel dizzy and hurt. Stupid, I feel so stupid. The champagne has gotten to me and I stumble my way into the elevator. Just as the doors are closing, Harry puts his arm out to stop the elevator doors. He watches me and I look down at the floor, fighting to keep the tears in.

He lingers at the elevator doors for a moment then steps in and lets the elevator doors shut behind him. He stands directly in front of me as my back is to the wall and my eyes glued to my shoes. As soon as we get to the ground floor, I push past Harry and head for the car. He rushes up to me and interlocks our hands but I pull them away.

"No," I say, my voice cracking. "Just take me home."

He doesn't say anything and we stand in the middle of the parking garage. I still can't look at him and his hands are at his side but I can feel his eyes on me.

"Aurora, I'm sor–"

"I don't care." I say, angrily. "I don't care that you're sorry. Take. Me. Home."

I push past him again and wait for him to unlock his car. My hand is on the handle and I hear the sound of his car unlock then I rush in. I bury my face in my hands and take a deep breath, trying to control all my emotions. It's just a job, I try telling myself but all I can think about is how we danced at his album release party, the talks on phone while we were away, the way he looked at me in this dress, the jealousy that seemed too real to fake. None of it makes sense if it's just a job.

Harry gets in and starts the car. He doesn't say a word, he just drives. I tear my hands from my face and I lean my head against the window, watching the world start to spin as we drive. Tonight is nothing like I expected it to be.