Chapter 6

~Tyra's POV~

I don't understand why this would happen to me. I feel so vulnerable, and I hate it. I'm putting my life in the hands of my friends, literally. What's worse, Seto's stressing too much. He thinks this was his fault. I try to comfort him, but its difficult at this height. Another thing I hate... I feel alone at this size.

"Tyra," Seto said, trying to sound calm. "What are you doing?"

"Nothing," I lied. I reddened, holding onto the string for dear life. Looking down, I estimated I was about one hundred feet in the air.

"Are you sure? You weren't there when I left," he replied sarcastically. He held his hand under me.

"I was only trying to open the blinds, but it kinda took me with it," I confessed, letting go and falling into Seto's palm. He chuckled, "Why were you opening the blinds?"

"It got cold, and I didn't want to ask you. You were busy," I admitted.

Seto sighed, "Don't hesitate to tell me you need something, I don't want you getting hurt, okay?" I shrugged, "I'm not helpless, Seto..."

He lowered his hand onto the desk, letting me hop off and stand on the smooth, wooden surface. "Just stay here, alright? I'll be back in a few minutes or so," he smiled, leaving the room.

****

After a minute or two of sitting and doing absolutely nothing, I heard it. My ears detected a faint noise... a voice? a scream?

I stood up, straining my ears. There it was again. Definitely a scream, but from where? The thing that really surprised me was that it wasn't an extremely loud, ear-splitting scream from someone else in the base. Yeah, that's from an experience, thanks a lot for almost making me deaf, Brice.

Then another sound reached my ears, a hiss and the scampering of paws on the tile floors. Oh Jesus, not the cat...

I shuddered at the thought. Starr was a brown and grey tabby cat with white paws (or "socks"). She had basically just moved in during a storm and still hasn't left. I had only caught glimpses of the feline, Seto never let me get anywhere near it. But once I saw it hunt, a terrible scene. The cat pounced on a young mouse with wickedly sharp claws, and ripping into its flesh with its huge, pearly white fangs.

I had had enough after that, and was deathly afraid of the beast from that moment on. Now, it was going to hurt something else. Or someone else... No, I couldn't let that happen.

Without thinking, I leaped off the desk and onto the chair in front of it, finally jumping onto the floor. I started running towards the noises, my silver scythe swinging at my side. Yes, I'm probably an idiot, but who knows what would've happened if I didn't...