14. Trigger Warning

Murder/suicide attempt

Josalena

"I realize you're going to die in here but so am I," I whispered out to the quiet room full of shifted prisoners, "remember that next time you feel like taking your anger out on me." It had been a week since I saw them last. By the time I got down, Kalaya was gone. I had been in shock mostly, after what my father made me do. And then I had slept the days away.
It wasn't until today, day eight?Nine? That I forced myself to come down this morning and go about my normal routine.
And that was only because I was awoken by the new shifted maid.
Oh Lilac. I'm so sorry. I hadn't realized I started crying until salty tears leaked into my mouth.

A week earlier...

Sitting at the kitchen table, I smiled up at Lilac as she brought me toast, scrambled eggs and tea.

​"Thank you so much Lilac, it's much appreciated," I told her with a smile, feeling so happy. I had woken up wrapped up in Kalaya and it had felt so good, her holding me and me finally feeling safe in my own house. Kissing her was like lighting a fire within myself. It mad me feel warm and cozy like sitting by a fireplace.

​I even smiled and greeted Father happily as he came downstairs and kissed me on the head before taking his seat.

​In the morning, Father was always so cranky and in the worst of moods, but today as he looked at me smiling, he smiled back.

​"You should smile all the time, you look very beautiful," he had told me, signaling the maid. Lilac came in and placed down his plate of food and coffee, but as she reached for a napkin to hand to Father that was in the middle of the table, her elbow hit the mug and it splashed onto Father's lap, the mug hitting the ground and shattering. I watched in horror as he jumped up and automatically shoved Lilac away from him, the steam of the coffee swirling in the air from the table so I knew it had to hurt.

It all happened so fast after that. Lilac flung into the table and fell to the floor as father dabbed away at the front of his pants where the coffee had spilled.

​Rushing forward, I helped Lilac up to her feet as she rubbed her head.
"Don't coddle that bitch," Father fumed out and I got only watch helplessly as he grabbed her by her hair and yanked her from my arms. Shoving her back to the ground he punched her a few times as she tried to block her head. Without a thought, I ran forward, grabbing onto his arms, begging him to stop. But he was too strong and he switched methods to kicking her as hard as he could. The sounds of his foot connecting into her back made me more desperate as I cried and begged him to show mercy. When he kept going unfazed, I backed up and with a cry of rage tried to body slam him away from her. He only moved a few inches back, looking at me anew with shock.
And then it was as if an emotionless mask slipped on his face.

​Father just stood and watched me; I could feel his gaze burning a hole in my face as I raced over and helped Lilac up.

​As I helped her up, I looked over at him to see him still staring. It looked like he was trying to work something out before his eyes narrowed.

​"Both of you, come with me," he said quietly, turning to walk away.

​Lilac and I gave each other fearful looks, but we were too scared to do anything but follow. Everything in me wanted to shove her towards the front door and tell her to run. But they'd have dragged her back in no time.

​Father had been in a good mood, so I tried telling myself what he was going to do wasn't so bad. But as he led us outside, my heart dropped. Outside was a pole with chains around it. I've never been tied to it, but he used to make me watch as he'd chain a half- a shifted up and beat them with a whip half to death. He'd then turn to me and tell me it's what they deserved. After seeing it a few times, I vowed never to go outside again.