32. Kalaya

"We must kill someone. Make it known we aren't bluffing. I say we kill an adult, stab a child and throw them both out there."

"We are not stabbing or killing children," I gaped at my fellow shifted.

"They wont take us seriously otherwise. We could also just bring them upstairs, open a window and toss them out."

"No, we can injury an adult, fine, maybe even kill one if we have to. But we are NOT hurting children. There's a limit," My voice broke off even thinking harming a child.

"I wonder if that's what the humans will think, as small little Snakegirl tries to escape, I wonder if they'll hold back on stabbing her little body through."

My fists tightened at my sides. "As they like to remind us, we are not them. We are better than them."

"I'm sure that will comfort us all as we all lay out dying. As our kind is wiped from this world." Another input.

I choked. "Please guys, we cant. We cant."

A heavy hand was on my shoulder. "I'll do it." Matters finally speaks up, looking resolved but pain in his eyes.

I snapped out of it instantly as I stared out the window at the angry crowd outside. At the fire in their eyes and hatred in their hearts as they shouted at us. As guards surrounded the house.

They would break in. They would rush us.

I nodded. "It's ok, I'll do it." I relented.

"You don't have to, one of us are more than willing-"

"No, this was my plan, I lead you here, and more than likely we stand on our graves. I've killed you all, " I whisper, "Its only right I ensure you don't die with blood on your hands."

Matters. "Girl, I've already have blood on my hands. Why do you think I drink so much? " I looked at him and nodded. "fine, it's you and me. I want you to take a few children upstairs. Shout from the window, hang a kid from it if you have to. but don't kill them, it should be enough to stop them from rushing in.

"And if it isn't?" We stared at each other for a beat. I walked over to the window to access the outside situation.

I looked out and saw the parent's retreating to another building. I saw the General, the look in his eyes. And I knew it wouldn't be enough. He was heartless and would kill all of these children if need be while blaming it on us.

I had a sinking feeling in my gut that nothing we did would stop them from barging in and killing us all without a care for the hostage. With the parent's not watching, my plan was going to shit. Of course them being drunk was causing them to be easily lead away from their children. They trusted the general too much. They didn't see the real him. Didn't know the guards they thought were protecting them, were all monsters who assaulted and treating living beings as nothing more than bugs to squash.

We were doomed. In a matter of moments we would have to stand our ground. We'd have to fight to the death. We would die from being overrun. But it was ok. We just needed to hold off long enough for Snakegirl to complete her side of things and get everyone to freedom.

I didn't have time to feel regret or despair for my upcoming death, for the deaths of my fellow shifted. for the blood that would stain these floors. I had no time for fear and tears.

"New plan, we set up the children all throughout the building. If they want to slaughter us, they'll have to do so in front of the children, we can use the teachers as-"

"Person incoming to the back of the building!"

"Seperate the teachers and children, we're going to use the teachers as shields and the children as distractions. I'll be right back," I hissed and ran towards the back to the awaiting shifted who was on guard.