26. Kalaya

"It's got to be a trick. That's what humans do," I looked down at the weaved basket full of cloths.
"It's probably got stuff that will make us sick or break out in a rash," Snakegirl said but she looked more curious than anything peaking at the bundle.
"Only one way to find out," I said plucking off the straw hats on top. One smaller than the other. And placing them down, pulling out the blankets and small pillows. "How about i use these tonight and let you know if it's a trap."
Snakegirl eyed the other blanket I was holding and then snatched one from me. "I'll take the risk. It's been cold, a rash wouldn't hurt as much as my bones feeling as if they hurt from shivering," she stated, picking up a pillow also. "I guess that human girls of yours isn't so bad," she admitted. Settling down. "Tell her to send a basket of food next time."
Peaking into the basket, I saw that she had in fact placed food inside. Grinningc I pulled up a box with bread rolls, a small cloth wrapped cheese block, a bag of peanuts, five large potatoes and two peaches.
"Nice," Snakegirl nodded her approval, reaching a hand out as I passed her a piece of cheese and bread roll.

As I laid down, I noticed how much my hip bones jutted out and it made me want to scarf down all the food. but already, my stomach felt so full, having eaten more in this one sitting than I've eaten all week.

As soon as Snakegirl fell asleep, I popped up, walking, as always, on the balls of my feet to swiftly move out of the hut undetected.
I felt the pressure in the air building and knew it had to be soon. I had to get us out soon. Something told me if I didn't act fast, I'll forever remain stuck behind these walls. Approaching the front gate, I did what I've always done, once a week. And starting from the front gate, sneaking around tired lazy guards, I placed my hands on the gate and inspected it, quickly walking around it, trying to find a give or hole in the wall. I knew I would spend until daybreak trying to find another way out. Sneaking everyone out back one by one seemed a lot better than the plan we had. So far we could only break into town. We couldn't break out through the woods and off into the world. Not when our fence was surrounded by human homes. And guard houses. But it would be better to sneak out the back side than anywhere near the front gate as that lead right into town.

I've always dreamed of getting my people to freedom, of being a leader they so desperately needed. My heart sank as the hours dragged on with no other plan or option coming to mind. Snatching the humans would lead to death. Every plan would lead to death. But snatching humans, would lead to a mass slaughter. And I would be the one to lead them there.
The walls were much higher and stronger where I stood now, looking up, and then up to the near light sky. I've been up all night and nothing has come to mind that I see being successful, even a little bit.
By the time I got back to my home, I felt exhausted. But more so mentally.
Snakegirl was sitting up, her eyes shining in the dark. "So? Plan still on?"
I nodded solemnly as I sat down next to her, it felt weird but I pulled her into a half hug, squeezing her tight. She elbowed me and stood up with a huff.

"This plan is going to fail and it's obvious you know that. We are going to have to fight our way out, you know that too, right? Even if only a few of us make it out, it's better than us living in this cage forever."

I gaped at her, unable to believe someone so young could think this way. This is what the humans do to us, they age us beyond our years through trauma and suffering. We are forced to grow up too fast.

"Well?" She placed her small hands on her hips and with a sigh I placed my head in my hands.
Snakegirl was right.
This plan was going to be another failure. Our best bet was to have a stand-off as a distraction while the rest fought their way out the front gates and made a mad dash out of town.

"New plan. I need you for this ok? But not for what you think."
"Anything," Snakegirl hissed in near excitement as her eyes lit up. She came to sit in front of me, looking into my eyes before throwing her arms around me. "Thank you."
"I'm going to get you out of here Snakegirl," I patted her back. The chances of me getting out though, nonexistent. But I couldn't play it safe anymore. Snakegirl was right, trying to appease the shifted by coming up with a plan doomed to fail was ignorant. If she or I were to die then what hope for escape would the future shifted kids have? Surrounded by a bunch of compliant shifted, no one would try for generations. Being scared off by stories of failed plans that every shifted grew up hearing.
No, it was time to take the most successful plan, even if that meant great risks. Even if it meant killing humans. Even if it meant killing our own. Whatever it takes. Because our lives were blimps, and the bigger picture was staring at me as clear as day.
Of towns and villages created by shifted full of free shifted. Of shifted running wildly in the woods, living in caves, in trees and by the water, places where we feel most at home. Of shifted children never knowing what it was like to go hungry. Of shifted no longer fearing humans. But humans being wary of shifted, of how powerful we were, of how we could either be their peaceful neighbors or their conquers.

"You know why they keep us like this, don't you?" I told Snakegirl after telling her what I needed her to do. "It's because they fear us. We are all unique in a way, but they are limited. Some of us can survive underwater without air. Most of us have perfect vision, even at night we can see clear as day. Some of us have poison in our bites," I smirked at her. "Some of us have wings to fly," I spread my arms out and looked up at the sky just as a gust of wind blew adding to my imagination of flying away. "We have canines," I gave her a toothy grin. "And their teeth are dull. So you see? It's not because we are disgusting halfbreeds. It's not because we are abnormal or unnatural. It's because we are more intone with the world around us, we are closer to nature than they are. It isn't hate that makes them treat us this way. It is fear. They fear us. We will remind them of that." I finished my speech to her, hoping it motivates her and keeps her alive until she reaches safety of the tree lines beyond the human town.
Snakegirl stared at me for a silent moment before a look of determination came over her. Our quiet moment was ruined when she said. "I'm stealing that speech to tell the others. You should repeat it to your group." We giggled and fist bumped.
I knew I would carry this moment with her to my grave. Even if I died, my one wish was that she made it out. She was going to be a strong leader when she grew up, I just hoped freedom will make her see things in a less cruel light. I hoped someone close to her can show her it doesn't always have to be the hard way. Sometimes peace was an option.
But right now wasn't one of those times.