35. Josalena

I snuck Kalaya into the back of the packed carriage, having taken some stuff out and tossing it out of sight as I loaded myself and the bags I had stashed of supplies we would need. I started to worry, feeling the nasty lump on Kalaya's head, I hoped, since there wasn't fresh blood coming off in my hands, that i hadn't killed her. Only knocked her out enough that she wouldn't wake up for a little bit, at least until we made some distance.

I prayed even though I wasn't religious, as the family came out and got into the front of the carriage, not bothering to check the back as they had already packed it. I could hear snippets of conversations.

"-need to hurry, this town is gone to shit."

"when we get back...tell about...the general...dodged a bad marriage" The carriage shook as they climbed in and as the driver made the horses move forward at a fast pace.

I maneuvered a bag onto Kalaya's back, same as I had one. We would need supplies to survive once we broke away from our ride out of here. The flaw with the front gates were once they were pulled open, it took a lot out of those who had to open it, and so they allowed it to stay open for a few moments before using more strength to close it, so in theory, I could have had us run through them once they were opened for this family, who they would never deny entry or exit for. But then there were the bowspeople to watch out for. They were always on guard for that very reason since the gates were so heavy to close and took a moments, allowing for a weak spot to sneak in or out.

I resisted peeking out the back as we came to a stop. My heart nearly fell out of my ass as I heard voices.

"Now!" I heard and then the familiar creeks of the gate opening. I let out a breath as we rolled forward and only after checking Kalaya's soft breathing again, did I finally peek out the back flap. And was shocked at what I saw.

Smoke was coming from the distance, signaling a huge fire. But even more shocking.

Halfbreeds...no, shifted people. With anger and determination on their faces. A swarm of them, must be all of them. And they were closing in, coming for the front of the gate. They would make it I realize.

I looked back at Kalaya's peaceful face as my eyes filled with tears.

So this was the real plan. Hers, at the school, why she wouldn't leave, why she was determined to stick to a stupid plan. She had planned to die tonight. So that her people could be free. Her team was a mere distraction. They knew they were going to die. She knew she was going to die. But I had no idea, she didn't look like someone who was facing death back in that school. I could see it in her eyes, the fire, the determination to be free. I thought she was delusional, but she wasn't. She knew she just needed to distract my horrible father, the general, long enough for her people to get away.

And it worked. But my eyes filled with tears and I choked on a sob as before we were out of sight, I saw the arrows fly down at them. I closed the flap since the scene was near out of sight now, and there was nothing for me to do now. It was too late. Fate already had taken it's course and there was nothing I could possibly do.

How many of her people died just now? Was it worth it?

Did even a few or one make it out?

I stroked Kalaya's hair out of her face. She looked so peaceful. My heart felt as if a cold fist had plunged in and gripped it. I couldn't imagine someone so alive, filled with fire and ice, to be snuffed out.

One did make it out. Kalaya made it out.

And at least to me, it was worth it.

Something needed to be done, action needed to be taken. And Kayala had been right. My plan to marry for power had been a foolish one. Nothing like what she planned. I should have trusted her, I should have came to her earlier, allowed her to use me, should have plotted with her, maybe it would have turned out different, better if I hadn't of wasted time. But what was done was done, and as the horses raced on at a fast but safer pace, I wondered if it would have even made a difference. Something was wrong about how we were all trapped in that village, how we were gated in, the same as the shifted. They could dress it up nicely, but it was all the same. And maybe if we went to where the royals lived, to a city I've only heard rumors and little tidbits about, maybe then it would make sense.

Kayala started twitching and moaning and I had to cover her mouth plently of times. I started to worry as her eyelids fluttered.

But finally the carriage stopped, there was many trees surrounding us, but there was also a small clearing.

"This a good place to stop for a break," I could hear the driver speaking.

Kalaya's eyes shoot open and she sat up so fast, I almost screamed.

I covered her mouth and put a finger to my lips to shush her. Her eyes were wide as I nodded to the back. She followed me silently out of the back, landing lightly on her feet, soundless, unlike me. But luckily no one seemed to notice. I peaked around the side and saw them all on one side. Pulling her with me, we dashed to the forest. We ran and ran, I held onto her arm and moved forwards so we didn't circle back. It felt like forever before Kalaya pulled to a stop.

Her eyes were still wide, but she blinked slowly at me. I winced, wondering again if I had hit her too hard.

She looked in awe all around as she pulled away from me. Her small hand came up and stroked at the bark of a tree, looking up in wonder. The trees were very skinny and very tall, the green leaves and branches nearly covering our view of the sky. It was beautiful. Looking back at her, I could see tears start to form in her reddening eyes as she finally looked back at me.

"What have you done?" she asked in a horrified, shaken voice. When I didn't speak soon enough, she grabbed my arms, her hands looking so pale against my skin as she shook me. "Josalena, what have you done?"

With tears streaming down my face, with the knowledge that I took her away from her people whose last words were probably her name, knowing that I had seen the possible slaughter of her people at the front gates, I whispered the only truth I could let out for now,

"I've set you free."