9.

Josalena

​She would be leaving tomorrow.
​With a sigh, I placed down my white and gold hair brush. On one hand I was happy that she was going free, although I had a bad feeling Father had something horrid planned for Kalaya, after all she did something I haven't seen in years, she stood up and spoke out. But then on the other, I wanted to bring her up here and just have her stay with me.

​I couldn't explain it, how I felt, all I knew was there was a stone in my stomach that was feeling heavier and heavier at the thought of never being able to see her again after so long of wanting to meet her.

​Time for action was now, I knew that! I knew it! I should go down there now and sit in her cell with her all night long and just talk.

​I stood up, pushing back from the stupidly expense vanity Father bought me.

​But what if she was sleeping?

​I sat back down onto the plush white seat.

​Or what if she was so uncomfortable she couldn't sleep?

​I stood back up, my heart racing now at the thought of actually going to her.

​What if she didn't even like girls?

​I sat back down.

​Back when I used to go to church they used to talk about the half-breeds, about how they were animals with the devil living inside of them. One example they gave about them being more animal, was that animals didn't care which gender they had sex with, as long as they fulfilled their sexual desires.

That had been the last time I decided to attend church, five years ago and thank goodness Father wasn't very keen on waking up early on Monday mornings to go either or else he would have made me continued on going.

I stood back up.

Well, there was only one way to find out if she liked girls.

If she wanted, I could bring her back to my room. It would be much more comfortable than lying in that dirty cell. I've asked Father over and over again to buy cots and new blankets, but so far, no luck.

Looking around, I wondered if I should clean up a bit. I didn't want her to come in here and see what a pig I was. There were dresses, corsets and random shoes thrown out on the floor. My bedding was all kinds of messed up and my dresser had all the drawers open, clothing spilling out.

We had a maid, but every time she tried to clean my room, I refused. Not only did I hate over cleanliness, but the maid wasn't paid. She was a half-breed and worked only because Father made her and that just wasn't right.

Picking up a pile of clothes, I walked over to my closet and threw it all inside. My closet was big enough to fit all the prisoners downstairs inside; they all could even lie in here comfortably.

​And I was using it to stuff all my clothing in. For a moment I even thought about going down and inviting them all to my room. We could have a sleepover. I could bring up snacks; let them take a shower one at a time in the bathroom that was connected to my large room. At least four or five people could even fit on my bed, sleeping comfortably under my red and white quilt.

​I could have just cried.

​Why were us humans just so hopeless? Why did everyone have to be so judgmental and cruel? Why couldn't we all just accept and be more open?

​Mom told me, before she was able to escape, that to love everyone, even if they hated me. To always keep an open mind and to never, ever treat the half-breeds as if they were anything but what they are; people.

​She messed me up. Mom had pried my eyes open and ever since I saw everything as clear as day. It was hard, sleeping, when I knew what I knew. It was hard facing any of them knowing what my own father was doing to them

​I tried, but I couldn't hate him. I only felt sorry for him.

​Clearing my throat, realizing I was on the verge of tears, I sat down on my bed.

​No, tonight was a night to get to know Kalaya, I would go down there, see if she was awake and if she was, I would bring her up here with me.

​Taking a deep breath, gathering up my courage, and expecting to be turned down, I snuck out of my room.

​Walking quickly, I made sure to grab the keys before going down to the cells.

​It was so quiet, I instantly regretted coming down here.

​What was I thinking? Of course she was sleeping! It was night! I should have been more considerate, what if I woke up the others?

​Looking into the cells as I passed them, I saw everyone either laid out or curled up in a corner sleeping.

​There were only small widows up high that shone in the moonlight. Lots of the cells were mostly dark, and hard to see in. Biting my lip, I walked slowly towards Kalaya's cell.

​My heat was now pounding so loudly, it filled up the quiet space. The ring of keys I was holding nearly slipped from my grip as my palms were getting sweaty.

​Before I stepped in front of her cell, I took a deep breath, calming my rapidly beating heart.

​Breathing in was a mistake. The air smelled of wet dog – not trying to make an animal joke – and piss. There was a vent down here that I had convinced my father to put in, which blew out air that smelled of lavender and fresh apples. The only way I had been able to convince my father to do this, was I told him our whole house could end up stinking. Plus I made – more like begged – him to put up large fans on the ceiling which were now moving very slowly. I was only able to create the freshness of the air, by putting together scents, it wasn't much but it was something.

​Stepping forward, I peered into Kalaya's cell.

​My heart went back to going berserk in my chest.

​Why would she want to come back with me to my room?

Oh goodness, what if she thought I was inviting her back to my room to do dirty things? What if she felt I was pressuring her?

I really should have thought this through.

Inside the cell was dark and I couldn't see Kalaya's, but I could see her eyes and they were staring right at me. It nearly caused me to jump out of my skin.

Kalaya had golden cat eyes and right now they were flashing in the dark, staring right at me with an emotion I couldn't even read.

Somehow I found myself caught in her stare, unable to look away, unable to move. I could tell she was sitting up against the wall, but I still couldn't see her.

I couldn't help the slow smile that spread across my lips as I unlocked the cell. I've never done anything like this. Taking one of the half-breeds to my room.

Her eyes flickered as I opened the door and she stood up, not even making a sound.

she moved was graceful and so quiet, a hawk couldn't even pick up the noise.

"Come with me," I offered out my hand and spoke in a soft voice, as to not disturb the others.

There was no reply, she hadn't even yet spoken. But she did look down at my hand and as she walked closer, I could now see her, my eyes adjusting to the dark.

I envied her and her eyes. It would be so incredibly cool to be able to see in the dark.​

"Please," I added after a moment and almost winced at the desperate tone in my voice. "You won't get in trouble, I promise," I reassured her.

Her warm hand slipped into mine and I could have burst into flames right then and there, the joy I felt was so overwhelming, I could stop myself from squeezing her hand as I swallowed a shriek of happiness. I pulled her along with me, never feeling happier than I did just then.