33. Josalena

As soon as I knocked out Kalaya, I could hear the doors being beaten down, could hear shouts for Kalaya. I dragged her body towards the closet, moving aside a book shelf I could see the board was still there. I thanked the universe for whoever was too lazy to properly fix the hole so long ago, it had rotted and instead of fixing the whole wall that lead outside, they had cut out the rotting part an placed a large board that they nailed up. As screams filled the building I went to work to get it off before anyone came into this room to find us. I dug my fingers as much under it as possible and started to pull, eve pushing my feet into the wall to use my full strength. I was thrown off and feel to my ass as it gave way. One nail loosely out. With my heart pounding in my ears and with strength I didn't know I had I started tearing at the board, yanking off pieces until it was big enough to fit through. Kalaya was heavy and it was hard maneuver her through, I let her fall out of the hole first, I winced, knowing she would have all types of bruises and splinters and cuts but at least she would be alive. I closed the closet door, trying not to hear what was going on in the building, knowing for the rest of my life I would hear the screams of terror from the children, the screams of anger from the shifted and the deep desperate calls for Kalaya.

Once outside, hidden among the bushes, as everyone was distracted, I dragged Kalaya towards the back of another building. From there I hoisted her up in my arms, she was slender and malnourished and it would help me to carry her all the way to Sebastion's house. His family was leaving tonight, and I would make sure Kayala and I were stashed away in his carriage. We were getting out of here alive. And we would find out the hows and the whys before we came back. We couldn't free anyone from this nightmare until we knew who was in charge and why they forced us all to stay inside our gates. There was more going on behind scenes and I needed to know. How to tear it all down. It was bigger than our small village and I would discover the truth, with Kalaya by my side.

That was, if she didn't kill me for what I've done.