43 - Guilt

Content Warning:

Violence, Angst

Soryu's P.O.V.

"No!" I shout as the taxi speeds off, missing it by just a few moments.

I run as fast as my legs will allow me, reaching out as if it'll do something, but it's no use. She's gone again.

"Damn it!" I pant and collapse onto my knees, feeling the pounding of my heart through every fiber of my being.

I'm full of hurt and guilt from seeing her running away so desperately, but at the same time I feel rejuvinated to know she's alive, and hopefully Satoshi is too. Knowing the wonderful mother she is, he must be.

"Boss!" Inui shouts behind me.

I turn to see him holding his jaw, stumbling over to me after the ass kicking Mei gave him.

"Tail that cab and take Samejima with you. If there are Flaming Hounds involved, which is likely, you shouldn't be going alone." I order.

"Yes, Sir! I'll call you when we find out where she is." He runs off to the hotel.

Police sirens become louder the longer I'm outside, which will only be trouble if I don't hide soon. But first, I have to take care of my men. When I arrive at the auction hall, it has been completely disguised to look as a storage room, and I'm not sure where this layer of dust has come from. An Ice Dragon sees me walking toward the stage and calls me over. He takes me to the back, where a group of Dragons wait around.

"Sir, is it true?!" Akira blurts. "Is the queen still alive?"

"Everything that has happened is still new to me, so unfortunately I can't give you more than just a yes. She is. Please keep what transpired to yourself until I can meet with you individually to discuss it. This is still under investigation, but more urgently, the police are arriving. Now I'm not sure how well we can hold them off, but there are bodies on the 20th, 25th, and 38th floors. I need half of you to take care of them as discreetly as you can, which means dressing as butlers and using Tres Spades facilities. The rest of you hide, or leave, and I suggest the former since exits will be under police supervision. This is all I have for you now. More to come soon." I dismiss them and they instantly begin working.

I watch them rush about and divide themselves into groups until I'm satisfied and make my way back to the penthouse. I would give anything for a moment alone to sort myself and hell, even cry if I need to, but my phone rings and it's none other than Shen Hao.

If I answer this, there's no knowing what's about to happen. I might even be voted out of Boss. What can I say to get them off my back for now?

"I'll just pretend I didn't see this." I press the lock button to silence the call. "What do I tell them?"

While I'm trying to think, I suddenly burst into laughter and hot tears escape from my eyes. I'm beyond elated to see she's alive. The guilt I've been feeling for years is dissipated by her haunting presence tonight, and replaced by a strong motivation to see her again.

I want nothing more than to apologize and give her the world. Damn, what I would do to hold her in my arms again. I have to find her.