2 - Déjà Vu

"Welcome to Hotel Tres Spades!" A concierge exclaims.

The hotel lobby is full of energy as the rich and famous enter the building for the IVC and my colleagues tend to their every need. The main desks are armed with our best workers, taming and assisting the flow of incoming guests. The bell hoppers shadow both VIP and regular guests to their rooms, heaving along their treasured belongings. Chatter and the dings of elevators sound out throughout the lobby. Chisato and I try to make it to the conference room to clock in and have our work assigned to us without bumping into any of the guests.

"Mei, try to smile a bit more, otherwise you'll get into trouble with Mr. Kenzaki. Here, grab onto my arm so you don't get trampled." Chisato says, reaching out towards me.

"I'll try." I say, holding onto Chisato, suddenly remembering something.

"Hey, Chisato. Do you remember when Haruka was pushed and fell onto Mr. Ichinomiya?"

"Hehe, of course I do! Sakiko wouldn't stop teasing her for so long. She still thinks that Mr. Ichinomiya promoted her to penthouse maid because he fell in love with her on the spot, but he was quite harsh when he dropped her." Chisato smiles at the memory.

"He does seem to be quite rude. I'm not sure how she tolerated him or the other four guests in the penthouse. However, Mr. Baba and Mr. Kisaki are very kind but womanizing."

"You've got that right." Chisato laughs.

We manage to maneuver carefully through the crowded lobby and make it to the conference room, where all of the maids and butlers seem to be waiting. Then Mr. Kenzaki, the hotel manager, enters the room.

"Good evening everyone." He says.

"Good evening, Mr. Kenzaki!" We respond in unison.

"I hope you are all doing well. The IVC commenced today and will end in three days time. Considering that everyone in this room, excluding me of course, is in charge of maintaining the guest rooms and restocking amenities, I believe that your job will be no different than it has been. All I ask is that you continue to treat our guests with respect and kindness. Begin your work and keep up the good work everyone!" Mr. Kenzaki says before passing the attention to a senior maid.

"Thank you for your encouragement and support, Mr. Kenzaki. Now we move onto assigning floors to our groups. Discuss what floors your own group will cover among the other groups. Groups 1 through 5, cover floors 26-35. Groups 6 through 10, cover floors 36-46. Finally, Groups 11 and 12 must cover floors 47-50. Any questions? Good, clock in and commence your work."

I spot Erika and her posse, the twins, heading towards Chisato and me.

Oh boy, can my life get any worse?

"Mei you, Haruhito, and Chisato will be covering the regular guest rooms on all four room. You better not scare away any of the guests with that frown on your face, otherwise I'll report you. Got it?" Erika states, as bossy as ever.

"Erika," Chisato says," why must we clean the same rooms as always? Shouldn't we negotiate this?"

"Of course not. I'm a VIP maid so I have more authority over the two of you. That being said, I'm much more valued. Now get to work!" Erika says, leaving the conference room.

"Get to work!" The twins say, following behind Erika.

"What a bully. We should clock in and get to cleaning the rooms. Let's go, Mei." Chisato says, displaying a gentle and comforting smile.
I nod, trying to reflect her kind smile.

After checking in, our other group member, Haruhito, joins Chisato and me as we head towards to hotel lobby and the elevators.