41 - Na's Haven

November 27, 2020

Three years later

"Yuuna! Tables five and six!" Hinari calls for me.

"Coming!"

I deliver the dirty dishes to the dishwasher, Ren. He kisses his teeth and frowns when I put them down.

"I was almost finished with these, too." He mutters.

"It's your job, Ren." I sigh and leave him to his misery.

Satoshi, or should I say Kiyoshi, and I have been living in Nishinari, Osaka for three years now. I'm not sure if I can say I lucked out with our living arrangement, because the day after we relocated here, I met my landlord and he offered me a room, which is really the basement of the building he owns. I guess I seemed desperate enough, so he offered the space. The rent is too high, my landlord won't tell me his name and the utilities don't always work, but it's the place I call home for now.

It was difficult to find a job that pays enough to support Satoshi and cover rent, but I work as a waitress in a bar close to home. I have a set schedule so everyday is the same: Wake up at 8am, spend the day with Satoshi, wait for his baby sitter to arrive at 7:30, work until 3am, and finally head home to sleep. It's exhausting, but for him it's worth it.

I'm hyper focused on delivering food and drinks to tables when someone grabs me from behind. I turn around and a man offers a sleazy smile. I ignore it and remind myself that my shift is almost over.

Ten more minutes until you clock out. 25 minutes until you can see Satoshi again. 40 until it's time to sleep.

Delivering my last pile of dishes and the usual miserable remark from Ren, I'm finally done with my shift. I change out of my apron in the staff room when Hinari enters.

"Good job tonight, Yuuna! It was busier than usual, but we made it." She cheers.

"You too, Hinari. Say, did you have problems with table 25?" I ask.

"Ugh, they kept trying to grab my ass while I passed by."

"They managed to get me." I mutter. "I wish Manager Ueno would do something about it."

"He'll just say 'It's probably something you did' and then go out for a smoke." She shuts her locker and rests her head on it. "One day I'll make it out of here."

"I believe in you. I gotta go, I'm running late to let my sitter go. Goodnight!" I wave and race out the back door.

I walk home through empty streets and stuttering street lamps. I avoid the alleys, where routine dealings and beatings take place. Clusters of the late night types smoke or drink on street corners and stoops. The homeless sleep under shelter or wander aimlessly with the drunk salarymen trying to find their way home. In a way it almost reminds me of Tokyo, minus the neon lights and crowds. Damn, I miss Tokyo.

"Mihara, rent is due tomorrow." My landlord shouts from his office as soon as I open the door to the building.

"Yes, sir. I'll have the payment ready tomorrow." I offer an unwanted smile and take the stairs down to my room.

I knock on the door as a warning and unlock it. Satoshi's babysitter, Ryosuke, is waiting by the door with his books and bag in hand.

"Thank you, Ryosuke. Here's tonight's payment."

"Nice! I got a lot of studying done today, too. I'll see you tomorrow, Ms. Mihara." He bows.

"Goodnight." I smile watching him leave with a pep in his step.