36 - Mourning

January 4th, 2018

Soryu's P.O.V.

"Soryu!" Mei screams at me. "Just take the picture already! The waves are coming!" Mei picks up her dress, laughing and trying to keep face.

"Just stay still!" I laugh, but Mei laughs harder.

"You can't even hold the camera without shaking-Ah!" She squeals as the waves rise and the shutter from our camera sounds out, capturing the moment.

"I got it! Mei!" I laugh out loud when she loses balance and falls into the water.

I move as quickly as I can toward her and grab her hand, but she pulls me down on top of her. We both resurface quickly and she breathes out.

"I should've thought that through before you fell on me." She grins at me with wide eyes.

"Are you okay?" I ask and she nods, holding my face in her hands.

I gently kiss her lips, expressing my love for her even through such a small gesture. She bites my lip when she pulls away and gasps before another wave hits us.

"Let's go back before we drown." I take her by the hand and help her to her feet.

We try to run back to the sand before another aggressive wave returns to finish us. Mei sits on the sand and I follow shortly after.

"Thank god we took time off. Packing up my old apartment was tiring, and you always need a break." Mei wrings the bottom of her dress.

"Is everything done?"

"Yup, no more packing or storage. Still sucks Eisuke has been avoiding me in whichever depth of hell he's hiding." She says with a smile, drawing a deep laugh from me.

"He'll come back, don't worry." I stroke her wet hair behind her ear.

"Can I see the picture you took?" She asks.

"Sure. Ah, never mind." I remove the wet camera from my neck.

"I forgot you had that on when I pulled you in." Mei holds her hand over her mouth.

"Who cares, we can fix this later." I lie down.

"Yeah." She stares at me.

I close my eyes but still feel hers on me. I open one and see her with a serious face.

"What's the matter?" I ask.

"It has been just over a month since we've met, and.." she pauses.

"And what?"

"Ugh, I'll sound like an idiot." She blushes. "It's been over a month, and it took no time for me to fall head over heels for you." She smiles.

"Where has the time gone, right?" I tease.

"How?"

"Maybe we were meant to be." I sit up.

"You always know what to say." Mei smiles softly and gently strokes my face. "I love you."

"I love you. I'll love you until the sea dries, until one plus one is three, until all of the stars rain onto the Earth."

"Soryu?"

"Yes?"

"Shut up." She brings me out of my trance.

"Okay." I look down with shame and she lifts my head back.

Mei smiles brightly, bringing light to the setting sun. She brings her face close to mine and initiates a sweet and fleeting kiss. I reciprocate and receive a soft sigh from her.