34 - The Gap

A few moments before our departure to London, I text Soryu about my situation and hope he sees it, as the time I texted him at, it was 9 in the morning his time. He might respond later, but it shouldn't take too long.

I throw my things onto the bed and follow my bag onto it. I slept on the plane, but I still feel exhausted. Good thing the meeting I go to is tomorrow, otherwise I'd fall asleep at the table. I check the clock on the wall.

10 a.m.? Damn, I have the whole day ahead of me. I miss Satoshi... and Soryu. Can't forget about him.

"Satoshi has domesticated me." I sigh and laugh. "It should be around 7 p.m. in Tokyo, let's try calling."

I dial Soryu's number but it goes straight to voicemail. I groan and sit up.

He might get out later at 1 a.m. Poor Soryu, he must be so tired watching Satoshi and running the Ice Dragons full time.

I dial Samejima's phone number and he picks up immediately.

"Samejima." I hear yelling in the background.

"Hi, it's Mei."

"Mrs. Oh! How are you?" I hear him begin to run.

"I'm fine, thank you. How about you?"

"Great. Just working."

"Um, are you being chased? I can call back later."

"No! Don't worry Mrs. It's all great here. I'm at the office." I hear yelling in the background once again and then Soryu yelling back.

"What's going on there? Are you sure everything is okay?" I grow worried.

"Totally. We're just having a litt- Helloooo?" Inui picks up the phone and I hear a struggle between Samejima and Inui in the background.

"Inui, you're home already? Are you okay? What's going on?" I request a video chat.

"Hold up." Inui accepts my request and I see his flushed face take over my phone screen. "Miss Mei!" He exclaims.

"Hi, are you drunk, by chance?" I ask.

"I am not drunk, but I have drunk some cupssss of liquor I brought from Dubaiii." He slurs his words and another Ice Dragon appears with a cup for Inui. "Bottoms up!" He slaps Inui on the back as he chugs the fluid.

"Dear god, where's my husband?"

Inui rotates the camera to show Soryu chugging down cup after cup of alcohol. An Ice Dragon keeps serving him cups and the crowd around him cheers.

"Soryu?!" I yell, hoping he can hear me as he continues to drink. "Is he drunk?"

"He never is!" He squeals.

"What are you celebrating? Can you pass the phone to him, please? Wait, where is Satoshi?!" I stand up.

"We took down a Flaming Hound spy, but most importantly you left, so nothing was holding a drinking party back!"

"Inui! Pass the phone to Soryu!" I demand.

"Nope!" He hangs up.