Stories in the middle of the night

Characters: Peri and Vil

1st pov:

Back then, when Ink left me stuck on a tree, he gave me a blue bow tie, and to be honest, I have absolutely no memories of having it with me before. But since now, I've been keeping it preciously around my collar to cherish my last moment with the guardian.

Apparently, the multiverse was in chaos for months, and I've learned about this news yesterday when Ccino called Vil on the phone to warn us to stay home and safe. These rumors turned out to be reals because neither did Ink, which I was already informed, Dream, and Blue came today, and they are never missing a meeting day.

Now you gotta say, why is there a two-year-old child worrying about stuff that doesn't concern them? Excellent question because I have absolutely no clue. I worry days and nights and there's no one single moment when I don't think about the three of them dying in whatever was happening.

Overdramatic? Me?

Absolutely not, it's common for someone to overthink about saving their families from a criminal attack or remembering something sooooo false about leaving the stoves on and fearing that the house explodes.

Right now is 2 in the morning and I can't sleep. My guardian has already fallen asleep when he saw the occasion, leaving me behind. I mean, I did pretend to be asleep so I could just think by myself and roam around the house, but it's has been hours...

The room where I was was illuminated by a single lamp that Vil left on in case I was 'scared' of the dark, which means that I could observe around as if it was the day, or perhaps, read a book. There was only one problem, I'm still sleeping on a secured crib and I can't climb this high unless I manage to catch everything I could possibly gather through the bars to pills them up so I could get out.

All of this trouble would not have happened if I wasn't an accidental child... I would already have formed a soul before birth, already have some magic, and I would get my ass away from this crib. But noooooo, I need to wait until I'm at least three years old to form a soul on my own for some stupid magic's logic.

I just can't wait to teleport or use those shortcuts, those tiny legs are very slow and I can't run fast. I could also climb every part of the house, get stuck into trees, develop attacks, and whatever my imagination can imagine.

Now to piles up some stuff, I catch a baby cube from the bars and pull it inside of my bed. I repeat the process with other bigger cubes and once the pile was stable enough, I climb out of my crib and landed on the soft carpet of my room.

More smarter than me, you can't.

If only Vil knew what I just did, he would do another panic attack. The poor man has a lot of trouble keeping up with my sudden intellectual improvement, seeing me on top of a fridge reading a book, watching very mature shows, not falling for the most infamous tricks to do to a toddler, or me casually knowing sign languages.

At this point, it wasn't some high intellectual potential but some "please someone kills me, this child is getting annoyingly intelligent", as he would say.

I began roaming around the house carefully and silently, checking over my shoulders if Vil was still sleeping on his rocking chair. He was snoring noisily which mean he wouldn't wake up before at least the sunrise, he'd probably be my no.1 reason why have I became insomniac.

Should I make a little trip to the kitchen before going to the living room? It wasn't hard to answer, I just had to listen to my nonexistent stomach to know that, yes, I will go to the kitchen and grab some food.

[...]

After almost exploding a big jar filled with biscuits and nearly waking up Vil from weirdly glitching, I made my way to the living room and settled myself on the sofa, placing the jar next to me on a table.

The room was very big and had next to where I installed myself a large opening to the outside, I could see the entire dark sky, the shiny moon, and the little stars. I'm actually thankful that Ink did not put us in the underground, I'd have been disappointed to not be able to see the sun or the stars.

Now I had the choice over many famous novels that I had meticulously hidden away from my guardian behind the wall that was behind the sofa I was sitting on, you are never too sure if one day he decides to clean up the house, you never know...

For the night, I had Vicious and Project Hail Mary, They both die at the end from Adam Silvera, Red Queen, The Supernova Era, and Dune.

I picked the third one and embarked on my lecture.

[...]

Lesson number one kids, never trust Adam Silvera. Don't read his book until you are strong enough to be heartbroken.

I don't think I have the strength to read another book, I need a sweet break.

I wiped off the tired tears from my face and put the book away. It was perfectly hidden next to the others, behind the wall. I picked up the jar and twisted the lid off, shoving a bunch of chocolates in my mouth and swallowing fast.

I don't know why I keep reading these books, I always end up crying in the middle of the night while everyone is sleeping. Thank God because I wouldn't know how to explain why I'm reading books to Vil.

I'm already that suspicious anyway and Ink caught me without knowing my actual situation.

I sighed and posed the jar back on the table, finally feeling the fatigue coming. It's the third time this week that I'm having trouble sleeping, I should maybe try finding something to help me better than a sad story.

And with one last check on the wall, I went back inside of my room silently, turning off the lights, and soon fall asleep, making a pretty sad dream about the book.