Chapter 3 - Asking

The following week's session was not much different to the last as Severus had Katherine alphabetising all the potions ingredients she'd labelled in the previous week.

But as time progressively passed, for some odd reason, he felt a difference in her movements. They were slightly more slow, cautious, reserved... he silently cursed himself for his ability of perception. Perhaps if he was someone else, he would pay no mind to it at all. However, the more his curiosity pushed him to observe the woman's work, the more doubt entered his clouded mind. Her arms would sweat profusely as they stretched to reach for the vials and bottles in slow movements, leaning slightly on her tiptoes. At times, she would pause and steady herself, breathing in and out gradually. It was not like before, where her enthusiasm drove her to smile and power through the task. These conclusions were built up over several glances throughout his work of grading and making lesson plans for the following term.

Damn it, thought Severus, I thought I told you not to care, don't turn into a dunderhead! She's most likely making sure she doesn't drop another vial. Be thankful that she is not being clumsy.

A question interrupted his thoughts. "Professor Snape, are you coming to the Christmas dinner celebration?"

"Indeed, the headmaster has made my presence at these events compulsory." He was rather surprised at this query, was she planning on attending after all these years of secrecy? The mystery of where she had been this whole time still loomed over him, but Severus restrained himself from asking since he refused to 'bond' with her as Dumbledore had suggested.

"Oh, that's wonderful," said Katherine, a small smile appearing on her lips. "I saw the list of students attending this year's and it's much shorter than usual, probably because of their safety from Sirius Black. So I thought... maybe I would come and join the spirit, you know?"

His eyebrows scrunched slightly, considering what might transpire. Dumbledore informed him that Christmas dinner was held a few days later than usual, it was odd but not unexpected as he had sometimes made changes in previous years as well. However, Severus recalled clearly that the night fell on a full moon.

"Did you know that Lupin wouldn't be present?" he asked, "Is that why you decided to attend?"

"Not at all," she replied, "I chose out of a desire to enjoy the Christmas feast, I hadn't known until Albus informed me."

It didn't add up. Severus turned towards her, a dark look crossing over his face. "Then tell me, Miss Cross, what would you expect to happen if this hadn't been true? Wouldn't you greet him and introduce yourself? After all, he would wonder why an unfamiliar woman was sitting with the staff."

Her hazel eyes met his, with a spark of amusement. "Well, you could've introduced me right there and then, Professor. I know you said we had to wait a month, but Christmas is a great time to bond! Or maybe Albus might've done it, but he insisted that I should talk to more people."

Bond. There was that word again, bringing a sense of déjà vu to Dumbledore's words. Severus rolled his eyes, turning his gaze back to the parchment again.

"As I stated, the terms are non-negotiable."

"I know."

Once again, the questions springing to his mind were never answered.

...

Staring back at her pale face was the reflection of a woman in a pastel purple dress that flowed down her arms and her thin body, ending past her knees. The colour was the opposite of bold, contrasting with the brown hair that draped onto her silk-covered shoulders. She wondered, if it was under different circumstances... would he have admired her appearance? Would he spend the night, unable to take his eyes off her, desiring her company as much as she did his? Perhaps then, she would've worn a darker colour, striking and vivid — a sea of blue, or even green. Yet here she was, timid and entering at the wrong time as always.