Chapter 13 - Pushing

"Katherine, the schedule's been changed," stated Albus, stroking his beard, "We were going to have a meeting with Olympe, Igor and Ministry officials, but it turns out the headmasters are unable to make it tomorrow."

"Oh. Why did we have to meet with them?" asked the brunette inquisitively. They'd never had to meet Durmstrang and Beauxbatons before.

"It has been decided that the Triwizard Tournament will be held again with new regulations and Hogwarts is the host for this year," he informed her.

Her eyes widened. "As much as I enjoy watching contests like that... are you sure that's a good idea, Albus? These are teenagers and their lives could be in danger!"

"That's why we will be discussing all the precautions that will be taken this year," said Albus, "And only students of age will be allowed to compete. You'll hear more at the meeting, but until then, do not worry about it."

She nodded, an uneasy feeling settling into her heart.

"I will owl all the staff to inform them of the changes, you are free to do whatever you wish," he said, pausing to see if she had anything else to say.

"Thanks, but before that... I have another request."

His ocean eyes twinkled behind his half-moon spectacles.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

Late in the following afternoon, Severus walked onto the Hogwarts ground near Hagrid's hut, where Dumbledore had told all the staff to meet. However, there was nobody in sight, all except...

"You again?"

There she was again, smiling at him with those round hazel eyes. He wasn't sure whether he felt happy or startled to see her. Was it just his imagination, or did she appear paler? It wasn't just because she wore a white shirt and a long, flowy skirt that was amber. Even her dark hair seemed to have turned a shade lighter.

"Yeah, it's me," said Katherine, turning to him. "Are you surprised?"

"At this point, I can't be. Where are the rest of the staff?" he questioned.

"Well about that... the meeting was postponed to next week," she said, "Didn't you get a letter? Maybe Albus forgot to send it to you."

Severus frowned. "Why are you standing here then?"

She placed a finger on her cheek, glancing at the trees. "I was just wondering if I should go and explore the forest, Albus gave me permission." That was strange, why would she want to go into the Forbidden Forest alone? Wasn't she ever scared?

He noticed the way she was standing felt slightly different and she was fidgeting slightly. Katherine looked at him again. "Hey, want to come with?"

The black-haired man pursed his lips. "No, I would rather not. Why would you try to put your life in danger?" But it was hard to deny her when she appeared so eager. If she was going to endanger herself, he couldn't let her do it on her own. What kind of friend would he be?

"Come on, I'm going to a safer part of the forest. And with you here, I'm sure we can get through anything!" exclaimed Katherine. His heart raced faster at her words. She talked as if she had complete faith in him, as if he was strong.

"Don't be a dunderhead," he scoffed and started into the forest. She walked close by, humming to herself. Examining the woman beside him, Severus only now noticed that she was carrying a round picnic basket, covered by a yellow chequered cloth. The silence as they ambled through the thickets was surprisingly comfortable. She was so unpredictable. One moment, she would be insanely energetic and drag him to places, another moment she would be incessantly calm — even during his bouts of anger.