Chapter 15 - Pulling

When Katherine next saw Severus, it was the rescheduled staff meeting that now loomed closer to the beginning of the school year. Dumbledore informed her that he'd sent out letters explaining the Triwizard Tournament and its general rules, so that all the professors would be prepared to hear the alterations they'd made to the events at school and implement them as soon as possible.

Throughout the meeting, she noticed that the black-clad man never looked at her once. The bitter scowl was back on his face, replacing the emotions that surfaced in his onyx eyes the previous times she had seen him. The other person who disturbed her was the new DADA teacher, Alastor Moody, who was known as a famous Auror. She had to admit that his electric blue glass eye, accompanied by the fierce scars running through his face, were quite intimidating. At times his magical eye would stare at her creepily, as if it was able to see through her. I hope he doesn't remember me from that time I showed up at the Order of the Phoenix back then, she thought.

Once they had finished greeting and having a discussion with the Ministry officials and headmasters of the other schools, Dumbledore dismissed everyone. Many of the professors chose to go to their classrooms to set up for the upcoming semester, including Minerva, Filius and Severus. She was relieved when Moody said he had business to attend to and needed to leave.

"Where are you heading off to?" the white-bearded man asked Katherine when she stepped out of his office.

"Just going to see what Severus's up to, I guess." He smiled and watched her leave.

She arrived in the dungeons, the chilliness causing goosebumps on her skin despite it being summer. She rapped the door a few times. No response. She knocked harder. Still none. I know he's in here, she thought. For the last time, she smashed her fist rapidly into the wood until it flung open, met by a livid Potions Master.

"Are you trying to break my door down?" he snapped. His voice was icy, making her stiffen slightly. The barriers surrounding his mind were stronger than she'd ever felt before.

"Maybe I would've, if you hadn't answered. I wouldn't know if you were actually dead in there," she replied sarcastically, only to receive a harsh glare.

"Well I am indeed alive. Now leave." Severus was about to slam the door, but she pushed on it as hard as she could and crashed right into his chest. "What in Merlin's name are you doing, you fool?" he hissed at her, watching her straighten up and close the door behind them.

"Sorry about that," said Katherine, flashing an innocent smile.

"I never invited you in!"

"That's okay, I don't need an invitation. I just wanted to check how you were doing," she said.

He threw his quill at her, fortunately the only object in his hand. The feather tickled her head before falling onto the ground. "Better if you would stop disturbing me," hissed Severus, "Why don't you go bother Lupin at his work instead?"

"What's this got to do with Remus?" she questioned, tilting her head. "If you haven't noticed, we work in the same school. It's not like I can just barge into where he works... hell, I don't even know where it is! Anyway, I just wanted to ask if you're feeling alright? Besides being annoyed at me, of course." Judging by his reaction, she knew he wasn't, but how could she get him to warm up again? What had sparked this change in attitude, when just the other day he had opened up to her?

"None. Of. Your. Business," he seethed, moving back to his seat and holding his head. "Go away, your voice is causing me a headache."

"I'll get rid of it for you!" She grinned and walked over to him.