Chapter 5 - Introducing

It was another Hogsmeade weekend where Harry was left alone in the emptiness of the castle walls. Of course, he did not blame his friends — Hermione had gone to buy a new quill and parchment, while Ron was purchasing items for his prankster brothers, who had struck a deal with him. He'd considered sneaking into Honeydukes again, but instead decided to find solace in Professor Lupin's office once more. He wasn't sure whether it was because the professor was friends with his parents, because he helped him on the train or simply because he was the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher he'd ever had, that Harry found comfort in Lupin's presence. Perhaps it was all of those reasons combined.

"Sir, could you please tell me about my mother again?" suggested Harry, gazing hopefully at the man seated in the opposite chair.

He nodded, smiling at the boy through his scarred face. "Your mother was very intelligent, she was one of the top students for most of her classes and never failed to impress. She was also very stubborn and brave, willing to stand up for her friends time and time again. Her heart was a true Gryffindor's."

The door flung open. In strode Harry's least favourite professor, a permanent scowl etched on his face.

"Lupin," said Severus in an unpleasant tone. Before he said anything else, however, he noticed the boy with glasses and almost flinched at the sight. It was unnerving to have Harry appear everywhere, especially when he least expected it. Many times, Severus felt a jolt of paranoia when he saw in the corner of his eye a face almost identical to that of his former archenemy. But then, whenever he peered closer into the boy's features, he would lose himself in those emerald green eyes, drowning in a never-ending guilt that resurfaced. He fought hard not to suppress his inner turmoil, often resulting in lashing out at the boy instead.

Harry felt uncomfortable with the way the Potions Master stared at him, mainly since he could not determine what he was thinking from his expression, vacant of emotions. He remembered the end of his first year, where Dumbledore had informed him that his professor didn't hate him, but it was still very difficult to believe considering the harsh way he treated him, taking as many points and giving as much detention as he could. He braced himself for another insult, but instead, Severus simply ignored him and looked back at Lupin. Blinking in surprise, he wondered why the man was here.

"Ah, good morning, Severus. I was just telling Harry about how wonderful his mother was, and I'm sure Harry is just as brave and loyal."

"Oh you would know, would you?" he sneered, sending Harry a loathsome look. "I beg to differ. Potter rather resembles his pathetic father, the spoilt imbecile who believed he could do whatever he wanted." The fierce glower of his dark eyes caused Lupin to stop, realising that this wasn't a subject Severus wanted to discuss.

However, Harry could not contain himself. "My father was not pathetic, and he was not a spoilt imbecile! How could you say that, when everyone else says he was noble and courageous?"

"YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING, YOU STUPID BOY!" he snarled, looming over the raven-haired boy, who was frowning in confusion and anger. If looks could kill, Harry would be long dead by now.

"I'm not stupid, I know you hated him but that doesn't give you the right to insult him or call him names! Dumbledore said it himself, my father saved your life! You'd think you'd be more grateful, but-"

"That's enough, Harry," Lupin cut in loudly, putting up a hand.

"But sir, I should have the right to defend..."

"I said, that's enough." Harry was taken aback by his professor's firm tone, feeling extremely frustrated that he couldn't understand what was happening. He thought Lupin had been his father's friend, why wouldn't he help defend him? "Is there anything you need?" Lupin asked, looking at Severus.