Chapter 4 - Stepping

"Get your coat," ordered the Potions Master, draping his robes onto his shoulders and adjusting his collar. "We are buying more supplies."

"Where should I meet you?" she asked. It was yet another day of assisting Severus Snape, except they were going out for some much-needed ingredients. She wondered where exactly he bought them from, because she had seen many rare ones that weren't sold in common apothecaries. Another part of her reasoned that he was likely just replacing the more widely used ingredients and that there were probably places he went to personally pick them, such as the Forbidden Forest. Just thinking about the place gave her slight chills, though she remembered learning about a path that was relatively safe from her time at Hogwarts.

"The end of the path to Hogsmeade." Katherine nodded and left to her room to retrieve warmer clothes. She made sure to wear the thickest coat she had, for she knew she could get cold easily. It wasn't worth it to become sick.

Slowly, the brown-haired woman walked out the halls of the castle towards the edge of the school's grounds. She spotted the hill that led to the village and began a tiring climb, observing her surroundings in wonder. It had been a long time since she'd taken this particular path to Hogsmeade, which she loved to visit — though she didn't do that much anymore. She roamed Diagon Alley more often, since it was less likely for people to recognise her there with the huge variety of stores and restaurants. As Katherine trudged along the grass, her mind raced with sudden ideas of a particular garden she wanted to visit. I'll have to convince him to come, she thought with a slight frown. However, the thought was forgotten when she reached the black figure standing on the path, his arms crossed.

"Took you long enough," growled Severus.

"Apologies, I'm not a fast walker," she explained.

"Grab my arm," he said. She took hold of it. With a pop, she felt the familiar feeling of being sucked into a tube, a wave of nausea hitting her. They reappeared in an alleyway, Katherine stumbling slightly from dizziness. Severus, on the other hand, immediately started his stride towards the apothecary. She struggled to keep up with his long steps and her cheeks were pink from the wind blowing in her face. It was a wonder how the Potions Master seemed immune to all the discomforts she experienced.

She stepped into the apothecary a few seconds after him and heard the bell chime upon her arrival. Instantly, she was hit with the smell of different herbs and ingredients all mixed together. Severus stood at the counter in front of a shorter man with brown hair, who was reading the list of ingredients he needed. The man looked up.

"Welcome to Grayor's Apothecary, how may I help you?" he asked in a gruff voice.

"She's with me," said Severus without a glance at her.

"Ah." The man went inside a door at the back, presumably to gather the ingredients he needed. A few moments later, he came back out with two boxes and placed them on the ground before searching on the shelves next to Severus. "I had no idea you got a woman, Snape," he said.

He crossed his arms. "I didn't. And I will never 'get' one."

Katherine let out a small laugh at the man, whose mouth had formed into an 'O' shape, his face reddening. "Apologies, I just thought, because he's never had anyone with him, you were..."

"Of course, I understand. I'm just assisting him," she said amiably, walking over to examine the contents on a shelf of pre-brewed potions.

"That explains the long list, I was wondering how Snape would carry all of it on his own," he stated with a chuckle. "I'm Ronan Grayor, my family has owned this apothecary for several generations. What's your name?"