Chapter 19 - Conceding

Severus,

Given how you've acted around me the past months, I'm not sure if you would want to see me. However, I really do want to meet with you, I've been missing my friend.

I'll be at the Astronomy Tower at 8 pm, hope you decide you want to see me too.

-Katherine

Severus had received this note at breakfast, drawing the unwanted attention of students as it was not that common for professors to receive mail. It was surprising, he would've expected the woman to be at breakfast herself if she wanted to give such a message. He chose to ignore it just as he had decided.

When the day was over and he sat in his dim-lit office, heading students' work, however, Severus felt a strange gut feeling building up, telling him to go and meet her. He resisted the urge and focused hard on the papers in front of him, not wanting to give in.

The time ticked by and soon, it was an hour after the time she had suggested. The gnawing feeling hadn't stopped bothering him, and Severus got up with a huff. She was likely not there anymore — who would accept being stood up for an hour? But he would check anyway and tell her off for being foolish if she was still there.

His quick footsteps stormed out of the dungeons, up several flights of stairs and into the Astronomy Tower. As he had expected, it was completely deserted. Katherine had obviously left without waiting too long for him. However, a beam of moonlight streamed into the high tower and Severus' heart stopped.

There were drops of blood splattered on the floor right where it shone, looking fresh within the past hour. No, no, no. This couldn't be, he thought frantically, but deep inside, knew he wasn't mistaken at the idea that Katherine had gotten into another accident.

In the spur of the moment, he turned and ran to the Hospital Wing, his black hair flying behind him messily. Severus was out of breath when he pried the door open quietly and gazed inside. There she was, lying on the same bed as the last time she was here. This time, there were bandages wrapped around her knees with one in a cast, and a small plaster on the side of her head. It almost appeared as a terrible nightmare, but he knew it was real this time. Before she could notice the open door, he quickly shut it and stared into the darkness, pain throbbing in his heart.

He was in disbelief. How had he not seen this coming? He had been busy worrying about his allegiances in the past, about keeping her safe from any dangers... but what was he supposed to do with this? Ever since she had begun to show strange symptoms, he had been in denial, convincing himself that she was fine and didn't have any health issues. Now, all the signs made it clear that Katherine was not alright, and there was nothing he could do to protect her. From what she had told him before, there were some cases where even magic didn't help, including potions, and from the expression on her face that day, it was evident she was talking about her own situation.

That night, Severus tossed and turned, but only dreadful thoughts of what was to come plagued his mind and overtook his sleep. Why was it that every single time he allowed himself to love someone, they always had to be taken away from him? Even when he tried to prevent himself from falling for her, even when he vowed to stay away from her and not give in to his feelings. No matter what he did, they all got hurt in the end.

It was a curse he could never get rid of.

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒷꒦︶︶︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹

Katherine sighed deeply after she drank her medicine, staring longingly towards the Hospital Wing door. After her new incident where she had broken her leg and injured more parts of her body from falling at the Astronomy Tower, Madam Pomfrey would not let her leave until she was inspected by her doctor at St Mungo's.