Chapter 7 - Recognising

Students would be arriving in a few days and Severus was dreading it. At least the school was peaceful when it was the holidays, but now constant chaos would be ringing in his ears again. It was the last weekend without most of them in the castle. For a brief instant, he thought he would be seeing Katherine today, but silently reprimanded himself when he remembered his decision. How could he have gotten used to her presence in merely a month! Ridiculous. No matter, I will forget about her in due time, he thought as he walked into the streets of Hogsmeade, inhaling the frigid air of winter.

Speaking of the devil, Severus noticed the exact person he had been thinking of. She was side by side with none other than Remus Lupin. The two were dressed in matching brown tunics, though hers was longer. Severus watched as they entered the Three Broomsticks together, his lips curling in contempt. They even looked perfect for each other — like a match made in heaven. While Lupin was quite withdrawn, he still recalled a few girls crushing on him during their school days, thinking his appearance to be charming and whispering how his scars looked 'hot.' He rolled his eyes at the thought. On the other hand, nobody could ever fall in love with someone like me. Not that I need anyone to! Severus scolded himself, feeling his heart sink. He sped past the inn, pleading himself not to have these thoughts.

Meanwhile, Katherine and Remus were seated in a corner of the warm and dimly-lit pub, which was not as crowded as usual but still with a lively and welcoming atmosphere. Katherine took in the wooden structures that lined the walls and ceilings, marvelling at the subtle decorations. The tiny flames of the candles danced in her hazel eyes, and Remus noticed how it made them sparkle like jewels.

A woman with medium-length curly blonde hair came up to take their order. "Remus! I haven't seen you in a while."

He smiled at her. "Hello," he said before looking at Katherine, "This is Madam Rosmerta. Rosmerta, this is Katherine."

Rosmerta gave an enthusiastic clap. "You're a pretty one! That colour looks great on you, Katherine."

"I'd say the same for you," she replied. They exchanged some friendly conversation before Rosmerta asked what they wanted to eat. "I'd like a Butterbeer and the Rotisserie Smoked Chicken Platter."

"And you, Remus?"

"I'll have a Shepherd's Pie with Garden Salad, thanks," he said. "Perhaps I'll get the Pumpkin Juice this time."

"Still the classic order after so long!" Rosmerta remarked as she jotted it down. "He's been having the same meal ever since I started serving him," she told Katherine, "Oh, I remember when he used to come here with James Potter, Sirius... Black... and Peter Pettigrew. The four of you were inseparable back then, a group that never failed to make me laugh." Her tone became hushed and the joy in her green eyes disappeared. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to... it's really a shame what happened."

He sighed and nodded. "I know."

"Well I'll be off then, don't want to make you wait too long." The barmaid hurried off to send in their order. The drinks were brought to their table not long after.

There was a quiet pause when Remus stared at Katherine, who was contentedly sipping her foamy Butterbeer. He hadn't been sure of what to expect when he'd invited her to Hogsmeade. It was startling to think that any woman would be interested in him, so he wanted to know more about her. But looking at her now, he was starting to see resemblance that made her seem familiar.

"Have you ever been here before?" he questioned her.

She bit her lip. "I've actually been once, I don't remember too clearly but it was in my third year. I've always loved a good Butterbeer."