Chapter 10 - Falling

Even though the Easter holidays were a time to relax, Katherine found herself feeling more and more dismal. It was getting harder to put on a constant smile throughout the day and not think about her impending doom. "Stop letting it affect you, there's no room to pity yourself!" she huffed to herself, taking her music folder and deciding she would go and play the harp again. Music usually provided her with a sense of freedom. She couldn't practise much nowadays, but there were less students in the courtyard during breaks which was her chance. Normally, she picked early mornings to go and play the harp.

Severus spent the morning reading on a bench in the courtyard. He used to do this often when he was a student, but as a teacher he preferred to stay inside his room where nobody could intrude. Now that there was a spring break, he could sit here in peace once more. As he neared the end of the book, he heard the faint taps of someone's footsteps. At this point, Severus wasn't surprised that it was the brown-haired woman once again who drew nearer. She didn't appear to spot him at first, skipping eagerly with a black folder in her arms. Out of the corner of her eyes, Katherine glimpsed the black-clad figure and started towards him, a grin gracing her features.

His lips twitched at her bright expression, but immediately fell when she stumbled in her tracks.

There it was again, the desperate plea in her hazel eyes, widened and panicked. She leaned back in hopes of steadying herself. Severus bolted from his spot, his arms extended. In that moment, it felt as if everything was happening in slow motion, as if Severus could catch her there and then. He reached out to grab her before she fell.

But it was too late.

Blood seeped into a pool beneath her head, her brown hair forming waves. Music sheets were scattered all around, some soaking in red and others still fluttering on the ground. It was a terrifyingly beautiful sight. Katherine gasped in pain and shock, trying to touch her head, but Severus snatched her wrist before she could. "Don't move," he instructed, keeping his outward composure. However, fear and concern raged inside his head, causing him to fumble as he searched around his robes. He finally took out a vial, pouring the contents in her mouth to help the blood. "I need to get you to Madam Pomfrey," he muttered, lifting her whilst making sure her body wasn't moved too much. A few students stared in alarm when they saw their professor hurriedly carrying a woman in his arms, his black robes whipping behind him.

"Severus?" she whispered, feeling her consciousness drain away, "Is it bad?"

"Nothing the Healer can't fix," he assured her, though a sense of dread filled his heart.

"I'm... sorry."

"Katherine? Katherine!" Severus grew even more anxious when her eyes closed and her body became limp. Her face looked pale and lifeless. This couldn't be happening...

He burst into the Hospital Wing and yelled for Madam Pomfrey. She rushed out of her room, concern etched in her face. "Put her on the bed." There was no hesitation or confusion in her voice. He suspected she already knew who Katherine was. The matron immediately began to find potions and bandages to treat Katherine. The atmosphere was extremely tense as he waited, only sounds of potions bottles clinking and uncorking to be heard.

After what seemed like hours, Madam Pomfrey spoke to Severus again. "She should be fine for now, she needs to sleep. If you want, you can come back and check on her later."

He gave a short nod. "Thank you, Poppy."

Once he left the infirmary, it was difficult to go back. Severus wavered outside the door several times in the next two days, but never entered. He just couldn't shake off the feeling that something wasn't right. She just had an accident, he tried convincing himself, It's unfair of you not to visit, you were the only one there when it happened. But even so, his mind was restricting him, urging him not to get even more attached to her. Her words echoed in his head: 'there are some diseases even the skilled Healers can't help.'