Chapter 20 - Dancing

The air was growing colder as winter took over the Hogwarts grounds, shredding trees of their green leaves and leaving their branches bare, ready to be clothed in pure white. A crispy breeze chilled through Severus' robes as he ambled outside the castle, looking for Dumbledore as the headmaster had asked him to talk. It gave him a sense of deja vu that a similar time last year, he had met Katherine this exact way... and now he had foolishly let her into his heart.

A brief thought of getting her a Christmas present crossed his mind. At the previous Christmas dinner, she had informed him that this was her favourite holiday, and he wondered what she would like. Did she usually receive presents? Would it be taken the wrong way if he... No, we're friends, he reminded himself. He decided to think about it later when he went to Hogsmeade.

There he was, his blue gaze drifting around, looking mindless despite his endless amounts of knowledge. Dumbledore turned to him just as he arrived. "Severus," he said amiably.

"Why did you call me here?" asked Severus, his hard expression landing on the headmaster.

"I merely wish to discuss the Yule Ball. You will be chaperoning," stated Dumbledore, placing his hands behind his back. "The event begins at eight o'clock at night, but staff who are arranging the room and decorations are to arrive twenty minutes early. That won't include you, of course. The opening dance will start with the champions as you know, and then everyone else can join in. If or while you aren't dancing, you will be making rounds-"

"Albus," Severus butted in, "I already know all of this from previous experiences with the graduation balls. What is your point here?" If he heard the old man go on any longer about these trivial matters, he would go mad. All he wanted to worry about today was the fact that Katherine was getting discharged soon, and he wanted to be there. Merlin, I really do sound like I have a hopeless teenage crush, he thought, rolling his eyes.

Dumbledore smiled. "Well I just wanted to add that you may leave whenever you wish, but you must do a check at midnight to make sure that all students head back to their dormitories," he explained.

The black-haired man nodded curtly. "Anything else?" he drawled.

"Are you going to ask Katherine to the ball?"

Severus froze. That thought hadn't even crossed his mind. He had forgotten how much she liked events like these where she could interact and have fun, so she would surely want to go. However, he doubted she would want to go with him. "Why does it matter?" he made out through gritted teeth.

"I was simply curious," replied Dumbeldore, amused. "Why not ask her? I think it's a great idea, Severus."

"Don't you remember? You all seem to keep forgetting that she fancies Lupin, why would she agree to go with anyone else?" His voice was laced with annoyance.

"In the end, it's up to her to decide," he said simply. Those were the exact same words Remus had given him when Severus had tried to remind him that Katherine liked him and wouldn't spare a glance at him. But what was with that stupid twinkle in the old man's eyes? It wouldn't stop and Severus hated that he always appeared to know what was going on when he himself didn't.

With a huff, he went to retire in his chambers, thinking hard about what the headmaster had said. He actually did want to ask her, so he tried to gather up the courage and convince himself that it wasn't a huge deal. But for me it is, he groaned. I've never asked someone to a ball before.

Soon, it was nearing the time she would be leaving the Hospital Wing. Severus strode through the corridors, still internally attempting to calm down.

There she was, with her pale face and wavy hair. She had changed into an amber pullover and Madam Pomfrey was taking plasters off her wounds, which had healed. When the matron lifted her head to look at him, Katherine also turned her head, a delighted smile adorning her lips.